Grilled Asparagus

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I am having some Pork Loin Chops on the Genesis 1000 tonight and wanted to do some fresh Asparagus on the side as well. After a quick search, it seems the basic recipe is to put the grill on high, coat the asparagus stems with Olive Oil, salt and pepper to taste and then simply drop them on the grill for a few minutes on each side.

Is it really that easy and quick?

Well, I just oiled, salted, peppered and garliced them and threw them on the grill. Quick and easy and yummy. Came out great.

I put the spears in a bread pan sprinkle with S&P following with a drizzle of EVOO and toss in the pan to coat. Let them rest while I get the rest ready then, grill indirect. Serve in the same pan!

Good stuff guys. I did mine over direct heat. THey came out good, but probably over done. It seemed like they went from raw to over done in a flash. I guess it was due to the direct heat, but I was looking for the sear marks that many of the recipe pictures I saw had.

I will focus less on the looks and more on the actual cook next time....But, they were still tasty.

They go from great to garbage pretty quickly so have a bit more than you think you will want, for testing, yeah, that’s it, testing. I don’t cook asparagus any other way anymore! I will try a hit of sriracha next time.

Bruce i do mine basically like you ,i start indirect then finish direct to get a bit of char on them but they still have some crunch , the good thing about this cook is you can complete it while the other food is resting. And they are all served nice and warn .

I will do them on high heat with my GrillGrates (EVOO, S&P, granulated garlic, sometimes w/fresh lemon juice).

You are correct that you do need to keep an eye on 'em or they'll will go south in a hurry ! ! !

BD

Thanks for all the responses. I only did up half the batch that I bought. I will give it another whirl tomorrow or friday.

Take some evoo and brown a couple of cloves of garlic,remove from oil,coat Asparagus with oil and a little salt and grill,when done lay out on platter sprinkle with Parmesan cheese while still hot

I do mine direct. EVOO, S&P and soak 'em for anywhere from 10-60 minutes. Grill for a couple minutes, then mix/turn, grill for a minute or two more. I'll often finish with some lemon zest and parmesan.

Last year I tried a fancy recipe using a chili-lime-butter. Far prefer simply coating with olive oil, sprinkling with S&P, and grilling over direct heat. I have a perforated veggie grill pan I use to keep them from falling through the grates. Using the garlic-infused olive oil Mike suggested sounds pretty good too. I'd use extremely low heat on the garlic and oil so they have a long time together without the garlic getting too toasty. Another trick is to mix the garlic with a teaspoon of water before adding to the oil. The garlic won't start to brown until the water boils off. Grilled asparagus is one of the few vegetables I really like rather than simply tolerate.

Did some last night, basic method! After I had half the bunch, I realized I will be getting lab work gong this morning, sorry lab guys!

I am having some Pork Loin Chops on the Genesis 1000 tonight and wanted to do some fresh Asparagus on the side as well. After a quick search, it seems the basic recipe is to put the grill on high, coat the asparagus stems with Olive Oil, salt and pepper to taste and then simply drop them on the grill for a few minutes on each side.

Is it really that easy and quick?

Yep. That's basically what I do. It's amazing how much different (and better) asparagus tastes when grilled as opposed to baked, boiled or steamed. One of my favourite veg to grill

I have done several cooks with it now and have found that it only takes a few minutes. You don't want to cook it until it get all soft and mushy.
I agree, grilled asparagus is great. It is one vegetable that I actually enjoy eating. A big thick ribeye and about 30 stalks of grilled asparagus make an awesome dinner.

When I grill for the wife & meself, I will buy 2 or even 3 lbs of "Gus". I do a simple trim by pushing the stalk tip straight down onto the counter until
the woody stem breaks off. Then I put them into a zip-lock with a bit of water and zap in the microwave for just a minute or so to par-cook. They get rolled in EVOO and treated to a garlic salt shower, or some Penzey's "Ruth Ann's Muskego" seasoning. The Weber perforated grill pan keeps the lil' buggers from escaping into the direct heat coals. We will easily eat a pound each so there are usually very few leftover stalks, but the wife will snack on cold stalks the next day.

Back