Hello from the UK

Kevin England

I've been lurking in and off for around a year here, but finally joined a couple of weeks ago and thought it only polite to introduce myself.

At the age of 42, I eventually got my first ever grill. I'd lived in either university halls, Forces accommodation or flats without balconies until then. Finally bought my first house last year (got the keys the day before I disappeared for 4 months to Dubai with work). As soon as I made it back, I ordered my Weber. Charcoal wasn't an option, as the house has a thatched (straw) roof, and the house insurance prohibits grilling on coals within a 100 meters of the roof- and seeing as my patio is right outside the back door of the property, that would have presented a problem.

I only use my grill very occasionally, for social occasions over the summer and the like (so far, it's up to 6 outings), and I expect this summer to be broadly similar. Also, it's only really been used for burgers and bratties so far, with the occasional slice of Haloumi.

Having said that, I do enjoy reading the stories of the more committed grillers amongst you, and seeing what is possible! Also, the cleaning and maintenance tips I've picked up here have been invaluable. But most of all, as an engineer by trade, I find the various grill referb threads fascinating. Love seeing old but good products and machines given a new lease of life.

You've got an active and interesting group here- thanks for the stories, the tips and the help.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group looking forward to seeing and of your looks on your new found tool,( which becomes an addiction very quick).

Hello mate,

I see you've got a WSM- how's that working out for you? As in your post, I'm more of a 'burnt burgers and sausages' bloke sadly. Before rain inevitably stops play, of course. I'm always amazed and impressed when I read about people on here using their grills in -10c throughout winter and the like! As a nation (and definitely including me) I think we traditionally have a very different mindset to BBQ, so it's good to see you pushing those boundaries and trying things outside the norm.

I love it! The WSM is by far my favourite toy. I dont get to use it as much as I would like but have used it pretty much fortnightly over winter. Plan on doing alot more as the weather improves, but I still have alot to learn with it. Shame you have a live fire ban at your property but at least with Gas you can enjoy cooking outside.

Welcome to the forum Kevin

Kevin, Welcome to the forum. I am sure all of us folks on the west side of the pond would love to see pictures of your Weber’s in their England setting:). Hope you gain as much as I have from being a member.

I am sure all of us folks on the west side of the pond would love to see pictures of your Weber’s in their England setting:)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Jon, my grill is buried in the back of the shed (its winter home) at the moment. But as soon as the English summer arrives (I believe it's booked in for between 14:30-16:23 on the 7th of July this year), then I'll take an action photo, just to prove that it does indeed exist and actually get used. I love looking at other people's BBQ exploits though, but it does make me very hungry!

Back