Burning too much charcoal

JoeE

I cooked a 6# pastrami and I loaded up the WSM with a Soo's donut and lit the middle using a chimney starter. I used about 1/2 bag Kingsford blue charcoal. The outdoor temp was mid 40s all day and partly cloudy. At about the 3 hour mark I went to put my pastrami in a pan to steam with some broth and noticed that there was not much coals left for heat. I added another 50-60 coals which was enough to get me through the rest of the cook. I was cooking at about 275 the entire time.

I have cooked a lot longer than a total of 6 hours using the Soo's donut before and my coals did not run out within 6 hours of cook time. Any suggestions what I can do next time as I must be missing what I did or where I went wrong, maybe the donut was not the correct method or maybe I just did not fill up with enough charcoal in the beginning.

I cooked a 6# pastrami and I loaded up the WSM with a Soo's donut and lit the middle using a chimney starter. I used about 1/2 bag Kingsford blue charcoal. The outdoor temp was mid 40s all day and partly cloudy. At about the 3 hour mark I went to put my pastrami in a pan to steam with some broth and noticed that there was not much coals left for heat. I added another 50-60 coals which was enough to get me through the rest of the cook. I was cooking at about 275 the entire time.

I have cooked a lot longer than a total of 6 hours using the Soo's donut before and my coals did not run out within 6 hours of cook time. Any suggestions what I can do next time as I must be missing what I did or where I went wrong, maybe the donut was not the correct method or maybe I just did not fill up with enough charcoal in the beginning.

My guess is just not enough charcoal at the beginning, especially at 275.

Back