What do you guys think of this?

I know several people that use Char-Broil's The Big Easy and the SRG and love them.

I don't see any reason why it would not work, it would just be different than a Kettle.

BD

I saw one of those at our local Lowes. I was pretty surprised at what appeared to be very decent construction and material quality. This is especially after my serious disappointment with the Weber "Limited Edition" red kettles which do not offer that.

I really liked the large top vent which gives you a lot more flexibility then the smaller Weber kettle vent. Wasn't sure what to make of the vent holes on the side; I guess I would have to try it to see. It doesn't say whether the grill itself is porcelain covered, but it felt silky smooth. I also liked the way the lid opens with a front handle. Weber offered that very briefly with a Platinum version kettle. You don't see those very often.

The "infrared" grate arrangement may prove to be problematic if it clogs up like their gas grills do. But, if you can keep it clean without excessive work than you might be very happy with the results. I hope someone here can post from actual experience. For $64, if you were in the market for a kettle type grill, it seems like it would be very worth considering.

Just curious, what do you think about it? Is the infrared tech all hype or legit?
My only experience with Infrared is with gassers. I like Infrared when it's a "top down" cook (for doing roasts on a roto) but from the bottom up, I don't that there's all that much of difference. That BBQ is <$75, if nothing else it would be fun to play with, and who knows, it just might be all that

Regarding "infrared", you might check out my recent posts under gas grills about GrillGrates that got some conversation going. Essentially, the Charbroil grates work similarly. Whether they work as well, I don't know. At least they are porcelain plated steel rather than anodized aluminum which does raise some concern about aluminum getting into your food. The grates on this kettle are also much more closely spaced than the GrillGrates that I show in my thread. The grill marks, would therefor look a lot different.

Meh. They do have some innovations that I wish Weber would incorporate. I could care less about the infrared. All grills are infrared. The thing to think about is that there is literally a world of accessories for weber kettles. I think the vents along the edges are kind of silly. I'd rather have the vents coming in from the bottom.

Back