This redhead got the blues...(my Weber rehab project)

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all,

Here is my Genny 1000 restoration project. I started it last fall and finished it early last winter but now am just getting to posting the pics.

Found this redhead for free...
QF87Iid.jpg

ePrgeTw.jpg

Starting to clean up...
VuKYPVo.jpg

Ahhh the good old days...
xnawpXo.jpg

Painting the frame...it was well kept, minimal signs of rust which were easy to fix.
ZwzFPKJ.jpg

Getting the RCplanebuyer treatment...
GxAVnXc.jpg

With the rotisserie (Weber 9890)...
DjBYrQ3.jpg

09YRTzB.jpg

The initial prime rib weighed about 20 lbs. and the roti couldn't handle it so I had to cut it in half and do 2 cooks...no biggie but I suspect the weight limit of the weber 9890 is about 15 lbs. if any of you are wondering.

So I found a Silver B with a blue lid before this redhead and am using it and I'm calling my grill Baby Blue...
0ODHWBw.jpg

Finished product...
414kSv4.jpg

It was a fun restore and I learned a lot from this forum. Thanks all for the tips and tricks and stuff. Yah, I could have done a better job cleaning up the slats but I was lazy and just wanted to get grilling.

Yeah the rotisserie does not handle a lot of weight. Balancing very carefully can help. If you balance it can spin a 15 pounder but not easily. I have resorted to simply helping the motor to a spot and shutting it. Let the roast cook a bit and then go out and do it again, repeat until done

Cool! A "bluehead";) Seriously, a very nice grill; you don't see as many in that color, so it definitely is special.

You went all out with the full rcplanebuyer treatment! You won't regret that. Best wishes on great grilling, and maybe you can put the red hood into a next project?!!!

The Blue hood is my quest. I have been after one for over a year now. Around here, they are really rare. I have seen one for sale and I should have jumped on it, but it was too far to drive. I know that eventually, I will get my blue hood. I still love my redhead, which looks exactly like yours.

When I roto or do any cooking where i use a drip pan below the meat, I always take out the top 8 flavorizer bars. It gives more room between the meat and the pan which helps with even cooking.

Damn that Blue Hood is beautiful.

Thanks all. Don't get me wrong, I still like the redhead because it looks iconic but after seeing so many on this forum I thought I'd try another route and ended up liking it. I cleaned up the red hood and will swap it out here and there.

Bruce, yah I took off the top row of bars before I cooked that bad boy and it came out great.

Cool! A "bluehead";) Seriously, a very nice grill; you don't see as many in that color, so it definitely is special.

You went all out with the full rcplanebuyer treatment! You won't regret that. Best wishes on great grilling, and maybe you can put the red hood into a next project?!!!

Yah, now my brother wants a refurbed grill so he is now looking for a weber 1000 or silver to rehab as well. As for the hood, I'm keeping it so I can swap it out here and there.

One of the things about my Wolf that I really like is I don't have to take the grates off when I use the rotisserie....................yeah it's THAT big lol. I really like this because it allows me to cook sides under the spinning food and get basted my the juices off what I am roasting. Yummm

Definitely would be a plus there Larry. I always thought it would be a plus if the Weber rotos were somehow mounted higher in the grill...but then that would either require a hole in the middle of the end caps or maybe a chain drive system on the roto which I think would be a bit too cumbersome.

Yah, but already restored. I am looking for a deal where they are just looking to get rid of the old grill. I would like to see the inside of that grill. Also, doesn't mention the grates were replaced. I wonder what kind of shape they are in.

I hear ya... I am always on the look out for those deals too. I’ll keep my eyes out for you Bruce. While everyone has red, it’s my favorite color so I wouldn’t be interested on a blue lid

I have a blue truck. So, I guess I must like Blue. Or maybe I just want a matching set. Anyway, I would love it if you could find me a blue lid, but with shipping and all, it probably wouldn't be in my price range. I also am coveting a set of RCPlanebuyer cooking grates, so I have to watch it. My hope is that one pops on CL or Facebook or Offerup around here that someone basically just wants gone. No problem if the shelves are missing or rotted out and same with the frame, cookbox and internals. I just want that lid. I have learned over the past year not to get too excited and jump on deals unless they are really good. I have spent more for grills that were in worse shape than I did on others that were Free on the curb or much less in asking price. So, I know I will eventually find one. The hunt is sometimes better than the kill.

Thanks all. Don't get me wrong, I still like the redhead because it looks iconic but after seeing so many on this forum I thought I'd try another route and ended up liking it. I cleaned up the red hood and will swap it out here and there.

Bruce, yah I took off the top row of bars before I cooked that bad boy and it came out great.

Definitely! Variety is the spice of life. That is why I can hardly wait to FINALLY finish my Skyline Genesis. And, can you believe it, there is a Skyline Silver A for sale on OfferUp asking only $30. An hour and a half drive, so unless it doesn't sell by April 18, it can't be on my list. It sure would be fun to have both Skyline sizes, and as you said they would be something different.

Definitely! Variety is the spice of life. That is why I can hardly wait to FINALLY finish my Skyline Genesis. And, can you believe it, there is a Skyline Silver A for sale on OfferUp asking only $30. An hour and a half drive, so unless it doesn't sell by April 18, it can't be on my list. It sure would be fun to have both Skyline sizes, and as you said they would be something different.

If it is still available on April 18th, then he will probably let you have it for free, just to get rid of it.
And Yes, I think spring fever is infecting the northerners especially. We had a beautiful March weekend with sun and highs around 50 each day. I have seen a couple posting of grills as well and the stores up here are starting to really advertise their grills.

Back