Sous Vide

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Finally did a sous vide with a final on the Genny.

Been wanting to do a steak sous vide ever since I got my Instant Pot Ultra. Today was the day as it was +9oC (I knew it was coming) so it was time to do the sous vide with a final grilling outside.

Here's a bone in strip loin about 1 lb (wifey and I split it as we don't eat as much as we used to).

kZvbmgn.jpg

I used a LOT of salt (ground salt chunks) and ground pepper AND some granulated garlic powder. Way more than I would usually use but it's a first time so I'm following instructions).

I set the IP for 135oF for 4 hours (just to give me some time at the back end to get the sides ready). That's nice because you can leave it in the water without over-cooking while the veg get done.

Here it is: out at 2 hr 5 min. Looks kinda blah but that's normal.

4IDbcgC.jpg

After about 6-8 min on the grill. This was kinda tricky as I didn't want to overdo it but I still wanted some grill marks and "dry up" the meat exterior and not have it "gray".

Vh6GltG.jpg

Honestly, this was the best steak I've done in a while. It was perfectly med-rare (before the grill), juicy with nice "mouth feel" and super flavourful.

TIPS:

1)Use MORE S&P than you normally would. You won't be sorry.
2)I don't have a vacuum sealer so I tried the water displacement method. I thought it was good but I wasn't confident. I checked after about 20 minutes and there was a big bubble. I used the old "straw" method and sucked some more out. It worked. You could use a steamer basket to hold the meat down if you can't get enough air out of the bag (the meat should sink).

In summary, if you've got an IP, do not hesitate to use it for sous vide (if you've got the settings to be able to control the temps). You can't burn the meat and it'll be as perfect temperature-wise and done-wise as you could hope for.

Truly, restaurant quality at home.

Last edited:
My family's told me about sous-vide-ing some weird stuff - not sure I'd do a steak, mostly because I like putting it on a blast furnace Hot as H & then taking it off as early as possible..... What are you going to SV next?

Do it at least once Clint. Unless you like not knowing what you're missing ;) Doing sv there is very little juice loss. My 1lb strip lost maybe 1/4 tsp of liquid whereas on the grill I know there's a lot more lost. None on the plate after the quick sear either for the sv.

As far as what's next I'm thinking maybe P.P. but I'd lose the smoke component.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=what...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The Recipes to Cook First

Steaks With Edge-to-Edge Perfection.

• The Tenderest Chicken Breasts You've Ever Tasted.
  • Eggs Cooked Eggs-actly the Way You Want Them.
  • The World's Most Carrot-y Carrots.
  • Extra-Juicy Double-Cut Pork Chops.
  • Smoky Sous Vide Pulled Pork Shoulder.
  • Perfectly Cooked, Plump Shrimp.
The thing I think I love most is there is ZERO flavour (or nutrient) loss.

edit--in retrospect I should have weighed the strip before and after . It'll be nice to do a 4 lb butt and get a 4 lb final product :D

Last edited:
It’s an interesting piece of equipment, worked well for a tri tip cook a few weeks ago but, I have not used it since. The P.P.
is an interesting idea.

The steak looks great, Len, and glad that you have another use for your IP Ultra as well as a new cooking method to mess around with. It's not for everyone, but I find it a useful tool that I enjoy having in my kitchen arsenal. I wonder how many people have enjoyed sous vide meals when dining out without even knowing it given how many restaurants use it.

So, how's the PP coming along? I'm curious to hear your report about where all the rendered fat ends up (though, my mind is picturing fantastic carnitas using that rendered fat captured in the sous vide bag.....) Yum! :)

R

Exactly Rich on both counts. The strip had very little fat and so not much "rendered". The P.P. will be exciting to try. Could even finish it for an hour or so in the smoker at the end to get that smoke on it. Not a fan of liquid smoke but it does have it's place.

And point 2: that has to be how restaurants get their meat ready so quickly: probably a rare state and finish in a scant few minutes on the grill to whatever temp is needed. I can't see how they could do the quantities they do without that pre-cook. (That was directed at you Robert ;) )

Len,
I spoke with the chef at local country club and he told me that that is exactly what they do when they expect a large steak turn out. He said there was no other they could turn out 100 steaks with any sort of quality control. The thing about the Sous vide is you have a very precise range, 135 is going to be 135 not 150 and ruin a piece of meat. 130-135 for pretty much however long then a thermonuclear sear, dinner is ready! There is a place for using the method, it does not do everything but, tools are useful.

Interesting tool and seems to do a good job especially for holding temps. Just something I wouldn't use that often if at all.

I can cook a steak, and all I need is meat and fire.

I can not achieve the results of a perfectly temped 2" filet from edge to edge with a hard sear on the outside without sous vide.

I'm not spending $17+ per pound for meat and then not perfecting the cook.

Looks great, Len. I've been looking at various SV recipes for brisket - one of these days, I'm going to do it. In the meantime, it makes for wonderful steaks.

Looks great, Len. I've been looking at various SV recipes for brisket - one of these days, I'm going to do it. In the meantime, it makes for wonderful steaks.

If you're going the IP route (rather than say using anova), make sure your meat will fit in the pot. I just got a library book for sous vide cooking. Has a recipe for a 14 lb turkey. Not likely ;)

Back