Brisket was a hit

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Only my third brisket and the first one in several years but followed the high heat method on a 11.6lb packer from Walmart that was priced at $40.

Lite the Stubbs, about 2/3 chimney and dumped on a large pile of unlit that were stacked on one side of performer and held in a pile by a row of bricks.

Hit smoke hard, combination of oak with a little hickory. 2.5 hours fat cap down then foiled for 2 hrs. Flat was higher temp that I targeted at 215 but all meat was very tender. Rested in cooler for 3.5 hrs and sliced for group of 12. Meat was terrific, smoke was perfect and seasoning seemed to work (kosher salt mixed with Montreal steak seasoning). Very tender and most. Everyone took steaks knives out and then realized, no need.

Only negative was, I thought the 1/2 pound per person rule of thumb applied but not with brisket. Between trimming and shrinkage, the 12 lb packer was barely enough for 12 people and the portion sizes were not especially big.

I didn’t have leftovers but have another packer. Can I freeze leftovers and have great meals like I do w pork butts?

Shrinkage is usually in the 50-60% range so 12 lb would (should?) give you about 8 oz (50%) or so per person. With sides, that should normally be enough. Some folks have to only have meat so in a way, you need to know what/how your guests eat

Your milage may vary :D

Back