Smoked Chile Verde

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
It's been raining off & on for the last 3 days with cool temps. Needed something to warm us up: Chile Verde.

Roasted 3 lbs of Anaheims.

16qf2WO.jpg

Rounded up the volunteers.

he6JHE4.jpg

I liked Clint's "taste of smoke" routine he used in his Pozole Rojo thread a while back. Thought I'd give it a try on this cook.
2 lbs of pork butt chunks getting the treatment: about 15 minutes. Mesquite for smoke.

GaAt7zF.jpg

Heated 2 tbs of evoo and then browned the pork.

6BF4CI3.jpg

Added the chilis.

hWccRUF.jpg

And the other ingredients:
10 oz can of Rotels, 16 oz salsa verde, 7 blasts or so of W. sauce, couple tbs of Mex oregano, 1 tbs of sugar, the beer, 2 chopped chipotles & some adobo from the can.

H8R94RN.jpg

Brought it to a boil, moved to the cool side of the grill to simmer for 45 minutes & salted to taste. Fried some beans.

tQxcimt.jpg

Time To Eat!

yuXMq82.jpg

The smoked pork is a nice addition to the flavor profile. Will be standard practice from now on.
Also added some lime juice and apple cider vinegar to the stew towards the last. I like that, too.

Last edited:
Looks amazing Robert. I saw Anaheims at my store, are they good for making poppers or does their skin keep them from being any good for poppers?

Looks amazing Robert. I saw Anaheims at my store, are they good for making poppers or does their skin keep them from being any good for poppers?

Thanks, Chuck. I think they would work. I've never done it though. They are pretty mild compared to jalapenos. Give it a try. I'd avoid direct high heat.

That's perfection on a plate Robert. Love your attention to detail......the perfectly coordinated radish stack. Artfully done!

That plate looks awesome Robert. Never made Chili Verde, but I like that combination might give it a try.

That looks fantastic! Green chili is something that only recently has been available in Texas. I'm definitely a fan!

I'd like to have 2 gallons of that in my fridge. Looks perfect.

Chuck - surprised you haven't stuffed Anaheims - they're very good, I've made stuffed peppers (rice/cheese/whatever) in them many times. My palate is not the most refined, but to me they're just slightly more mild than poblanos. I tend to prefer Poblanos over Anaheims, & anaheims over green bell peppers. Not that I don't like green bell peppers (mildest), they just seem to cost ~$0.85/pepper (more expensive) instead of ~$0.99/$1.99/lb so they feel like a better value too. As for the skin - many people don't like it & say it's bitter - I'll peel it off & eat it (not overly charred), & then stop peeling it off because to me it's a pointless extra step. I'd have maybe peeled the darkest parts off of Robert's peppers but I sure wouldn't spend much time on it.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread Robert - I always love your roasted peppers (& cooks!)

I'd like to have 2 gallons of that in my fridge. Looks perfect.

Chuck - surprised you haven't stuffed Anaheims - they're very good, I've made stuffed peppers (rice/cheese/whatever) in them many times. My palate is not the most refined, but to me they're just slightly more mild than poblanos. I tend to prefer Poblanos over Anaheims, & anaheims over green bell peppers. Not that I don't like green bell peppers (mildest), they just seem to cost ~$0.85/pepper (more expensive) instead of ~$0.99/$1.99/lb so they feel like a better value too. As for the skin - many people don't like it & say it's bitter - I'll peel it off & eat it (not overly charred), & then stop peeling it off because to me it's a pointless extra step. I'd have maybe peeled the darkest parts off of Robert's peppers but I sure wouldn't spend much time on it.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread Robert - I always love your roasted peppers (& cooks!)

Anaheims are about the easiest peppers to roast & peel if you roast at the right temperature, imho. After steaming, the ones for this cook took about 15 minutes at most to peel. I have much better luck frying both Anaheims and poblanos in 350* oil, letting them steam and then peeling them if I want to stuff the peppers. The walls of the peppers remain strong vs roasting them. Roasting peppers is fast, especially if there are lots of them involved. Frying takes a bit longer and is messy.

Hey Clint.... am always up for a discussion regarding peppers.

Hey Clint.... am always up for a discussion regarding peppers.

And I am always down for a plate of them :)

I'm paying attention.

OT: one thing, I've been trying to remember the salsa (or chili verde) that called for tomatillos for a few days now.... I remember being surprised by their flavor when I made it ~a few months ago.

And I am always down for a plate of them :)

I'm paying attention.

OT: one thing, I've been trying to remember the salsa (or chili verde) that called for tomatillos for a few days now.... I remember being surprised by their flavor when I made it ~a few months ago.

Can't help you out on that one. I have the retentative memory of a gnat. However, if it matters... I've made salsa verde from scratch. with home grown tomatillos & peppers. It's good. Also it seems the same as the store bought stuff (minus preservatives) - Embassa, Herdez, etc. It's a lot less work to buy canned product at the store. I don't mind the preservatives as I want to live forever.

Back