cooking direct over coals

MarkMar

I have read a lot of other barrel smokers claiming that letting the meat drippings fall onto the coals produces a more authentic bbq flavor. Has anyone or can you leave the water pan out of a WSM and cook directly over the coals? In other words, having nothing in the middle of the barrel and letting the drippings fall on the coals?

thanks

I have WSM's and I also have a Pit Barrel Cooker, whose concept is as you describe. I agree it definitely results in a different flavor profile but I am not experienced enough that I can refer to it as more authentic. I like the flavor that results from drippings on the coals sometimes but I don't want it every time. I have not yet used the WSM without the [dry] water pan in place but I have seen posts by others whom use a rack hanger in theirs and remove the water pan and I have read at least some of them remark that it does deliver the drippings-over-coals taste.

And if I recall correctly there are at least a few recipes here that call for removing the water pan: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

Last edited:
I have done it before when cooking tri-tip on the WSM. We have 4 barrel cookers at the ranch for large events. A few times I have used the 22 WSM when there was not enough capacity on the barrels and set it up to mimic that set up (no water pan). From what I recall it was higher heat and it was much harder to control temperature swings. The meat is closer to the fire on the WSM as opposed to the barrel. Which I think was a better result. Tri tips cooked a little faster but yield a nicer outside color and crust from the dry rub.

Fortunately tri tip is very forgiving and is a roast that can be cooked with low or high heat. I could see where hanging chickens could benefit from the water pan absent.

What were you thinking of cooking without the water pan?

I've done it cooking chicken, which it's great for, and I've hung ribs directly over the coals. It is harder to control the temp without the pan. As far as authenticity that's a matter of opinion. I guess originally, people were cooking over coals in open pits. Some people don't like the taste. I enjoy it, but not necessarily all the time. I've heard it may not be all that healthy for you as well, but I'm less concerned about that.

You can easily do it.
I have with belly pork, meat loaf and a couple of other things.
This is on the 14.5" WSM. The only thing to look out for is if you open the lid. You might get some amazing flames because ot the increased air inlet. It always makes me think I was a pyromaniac in a previous live ;)

I generally look at the weather, then decide if I need to use water in the waterpan (I do in summer as temperatures go up to 110 F and the evaporation of the water keeps the temperature down).
In winter I have a choice: Waterpan with water, waterpan without water, no waterpan. I use all 3 methods.
I used to be really worried about the temperatures. I have since found out that the meat comes out nicely at almost all temperatures, so these days I just relax.

Thanks for the reply and the info...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply and the info

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the reply and the info...

I do Roadside Chicken that way but you have to work fast when lifting the lid to baste, turn or rotate. ( I use both racks)

If you get sidetracked and leave the lid off for to long you'll have a raging inferno going. ( Don't ask how I know that );)

Tim

If you get sidetracked and leave the lid off for to long you'll have a raging inferno going.

I can relate. I currently don't use water and, so, when I need access to my fuel base I lift the midsection and rest it on a suitable surface when using the 18 or 14. I have not yet done this on the 22. I think I some refer to it as the hot squat. Anyway, I have a 24" piece of steel purchased from HD and the next time I need access to my food grates I'm going to try the same method of pulling the midsection and use the steel to cover the fuel base. Whether or not that will help, I cannot answer.

Back