Prime Tri Tip Steak Sandwiches

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Spent a few days working on this cook. There were a few steps to go through and doing a little each day made the actual cook day much easier. Here goes.

Tried my had at Crusty Sandwich Rolls. Came out pretty good. Much better than anything I can find around here.

enhance

In addition to grilling the Tri Tip, the recipe included making a Tomato Jam, a Cream Cheese Spread and pickled onions to top the meat. After finishing the rolls I got to work on the Tomato Jam. Here's the fixings for the Jam. Tomatoes, lime zest and juice, jalapeno with seeds, brown sugar, fresh ginger, chopped garlic and cumin, a cinnamon stick and salt to taste.

enhance

Mixed all the ingredients and got on some medium to low direct heat. Took about 45 minutes to complete the reduction.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Pickled onions next. Let sit in fridge for a couple of days.

enhance

Cream Cheese Spread next. Cream Cheese, Queso Fresco crumbles, minced cilantro and some Greenade Green Chile Sauce. Mixed well.

enhance

enhance

Picked these guys up at Costco.

enhance

One went in the freezer and the other got rubbed down with Oakridge Santa Maria seasoning.

enhance

----------

On the grill over some high heat. Couple minutes each side then moved to indirect. Cooked to 125 IT.

enhance

enhance

enhance

About a 10 minute rest before slicing.

enhance

Came out perfect for our tastes.

enhance

Sliced it as thin as I could.

enhance

Quick bun toast.

enhance

Cheese Spread and Jam.

enhance

enhance

Lots of pickled onions.

enhance

Plated along with some potato salad from earlier in the week.

enhance

enhance

Man were these good. So many wonderful flavors. The tomato jam was sweet with just a little pop from the jalapenos. The cheese spread and the onions added great flavor and that Santa Maria Rub is packed with great spices that compliments Tri Tip perfectly. Again, a lot of work but worth every bite. Hope you all are having St. Patrick's Day. As soon as I finish up this post, I'll be jumping over to our SPD cook for tonight. Thank you all for looking.

There’s only one thing I don’t like about that...
I don’t have one! I say that even before I’ve had breakfast!!!

You have taken the tri-tip sandwich to new heights. Bravo!!!

The color of the reduced tomato jam is incredible.

Cliff, you sent that one way way out of the ball park. Amazing cook, it all looks so fantastic I just need a plate full. Will you share the roll recipe, we to have trouble finding good rolls like that. Thanks.

Don't know how you come up with these ideas Cliff, but you sure have some super skills. Amazing cook!

Cliff I hate to say this this looks just awful you could hurt yourself eating something like this. Just leave it but the backdoor and I will force it down I know it is awfully brave of me but that is the kind of guy I am.

Back