Hellman's Choclate Cake

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Wasn't baked in the Weber but certainly could have been. Very easy recipe for cake, only takes about 30 minutes to whip up. For those that are squeamish about using mayo in a cake just remember that mayo is (at least homemade) just oil and eggs, something you'd add to a cake mix and whip up anyways. Here's the recipe and a couple of photo's.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
1 1/3 cups water

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.
2 In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
3 In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
4 Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Frost, if desired, or sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

25987939097_738a0e60f5_c.jpg

25987938717_32c62fa551_c.jpg

40151313014_91bf49bda6_c.jpg

Interesting, Case. Don't think I've ever seen a chocolate cake recipe with Mayonnaise in it!! Looks tasty!

R

Best Food's first published the recipe in 1937!

An interesting fact is that the Mayonnaise industry didn't feel the effects of the great depression. IN fact they were one of the only industries that expanded. The reason for this was that sandwiches were one of the main stay meals that most could still afford.

Thanks for sharing! Looks awesome, as do all your creations. I am not a baker nor a chef but my Mother-in-law's father was a baker by profession and decades ago they lived in CA for a span of time to expand. She learned his trade secrets but my perfect wife ate, slept, and prayed outside riding her horse during times when her mom was willing to teach her those skills. Anyway, I just now asked my mil about mayo and she advises that she was taught way back then to use it.

Thanks for sharing! Looks awesome, as do all your creations. I am not a baker nor a chef but my Mother-in-law's father was a baker by profession and decades ago they lived in CA for a span of time to expand. She learned his trade secrets but my perfect wife ate, slept, and prayed outside riding her horse during times when her mom was willing to teach her those skills. Anyway, I just now asked my mil about mayo and she advises that she was taught way back then to use it.

Thank you!

Chuck, I'm not much of a chocolate cake person but that one I'd take a piece of. It looks delicious.

Did they legalize Pot in OR? A lot of "munchie" food coming from Case of late. :)

Killer cake Case

Back