beef and onion kebabs

Anne M.

TVWBB Pro
I marinated/rubbed some rump steak with a homemade Indonesian spice mix, lime juice and fish sauce.
I also had some red onion lying around
It all got skewered.
eNMyrpGl.jpg

Meanwhile: the cooking contraption got prepared and lit
(It is actually a cooker used for potjies (sort of South African Dutch oven).
It also works very well it you are cooking for one or two.
Not visible on the picture is my 18.5" kettle (I figured I needed to mention some weber product in the thread)
6pqhBqkl.jpg

And we are underway (only extra equipment needed was some pieces of angle iron)
6ZYFLPOl.jpg

They are about done:
1lCjNe4l.jpg

Served:
IpNsyZJl.jpg

And I ate too much....
Was tasty

Very interesting...Are you using the lime to break down the fibers of the meat? And where does the fish sauce come into play? Tenderizer or for more flavor... Any way it sure looks good.

Thanks James,
The fish sauce comes in play as source of salt and unami. And it might even tenderise the meat. Don't know.
Sometimes I use soy, sometimes fish sauce. Gives a much more complex taste than plain salt.
Lime juice is as much for flavour as to tenderise.

I used rumpsteak and it was tender. But then, it's pretty tender and full of flavour without marinating as well...

I forgot to mention the sauce in the last picture.
It's my attempt to replicate a sauce I had in Thailand. It is garlic, fresh chili and coriander (cilantro for you guys) all pounded together in a pestle and mortar, with lime juice and fish sauce (yes, again :)). Because the meat was already highly seasoned, I added some yoghurt to the sauce (also to make it go further). Worked a dream.

That looks great, Anne! Love the flavors you used, and the cooking setup looks like a great way to do kebabs or yakitori. I was explaining to my youngest the other day that the coriander seeds and cilantro leaves we were using were from the same plant......I think she thought I'd had one too many beers. :)

Thanks for sharing!

R

what a pretty picture.

I'd be hesitant to try fish sauce on the beef but only because I have such limited experience with it.......oyster sauce tho :)

I'm imagining a cross between Korean (kalbi) & Greek (tzatzki sauce).......I love both of them.

I like your kebab setup, my brother's been talking about making them again.....

Looks Tasty!

I'm not sure why people are so afraid of fish sauce. Its one of the best things. I use it all the time in place of salt.

That looks awesome; thanks for sharing! And I'll be darn if I'm not going to buy some fish sauce, now.

Thanks All :D

I am with you ChaseT: fish sauce is just a salt source, but much nicer and more complex
As for the ones that are scared of fish sauce: Worchestershire sauce is basically fish sauce with extra flavourings (much sweeter than fish sauce, but also based on anchovies)

Back