WSM 18.5 - Salvageable?

M.Stein

TVWBB Member
At what point (price) is it not worth it?

HZsW6mJ.jpg

Hmmm. Price would have to be low. You can definitely replace those bolts with stainless and drill out and replace the rivet on the vent. That looks like some dings in the lid where the porcelain is gone (bird poop maybe?). You could probably sand those and hit the spots with high heat paint. The legs look a little bent up too. Those are replaceable as well. The grates are all probably pretty bad. That also is an older one that doesn't have the heat shield on the bottom. It's maybe not the best idea to have that on a deck without it. You could put a water heater pan underneath it. The highest I'd go is maybe 75.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Price would have to be low. You can definitely replace those bolts with stainless and drill out and replace the rivet on the vent. That looks like some dings in the lid where the porcelain is gone (bird poop maybe?). You could probably sand those and hit the spots with high heat paint. The legs look a little bent up too. Those are replaceable as well. The grates are all probably pretty bad. That also is an older one that doesn't have the heat shield on the bottom. It's maybe not the best idea to have that on a deck without it. You could put a water heater pan underneath it. The highest I'd go is maybe 75.

Ok, that makes me feel good, she is asking $30. I am certain the grates are trash, and may or may not have the water pan. Was thinking I could pick up a new lid from Weber if that is in fact rust, but yeah, I can't tell either. Surely they'll sell a replacement, no? Same with the leg, will have to give them a call. Is there anyway to add a heat shield to these units? Any idea about how old this one would be? I have contacted the seller, and plan to pick it up this afternoon. Figure for the price, why not?

I've never had ash of any sort in the pan. As far as a heat shield, get a square paving stone and let the WSM legs rest on that. The stone can just sit on the deck if you store the WSM elsewhere.

For $30 I'd grab it if only as a backup. I wouldn't, however, spend a lot of money on replacement parts. No way I'd buy a new lid. Sand, paint, make do. Grates are wear items that will need to eventually be replaced even on the best cared-for smokers, so I'd be okay with replacing those. I'm with Len on the heat shield. I had an old one from before the days of the heat shield that I operated on a wood deck without issue. Just put a paving stone under it and you'll be fine. As for the rusty bolts, I replaced most of the bolts on my two-year-old one with stainless because they had started to rust. Simple, cheap. Unless the side you can't see in the photo has a big hole in it, I'd jump on it for $30.

It's a great deal at $30. The door looks fine, the leg can be bent back to original, stainless nuts bolts and washers are cheap, the daisy wheels on the vents look OK, good handle and not a lot of porcelain damage. You can get it cooking at a very reasonable cost or you can turn it into a tribute for your favorite team for a ton more bucks. Chris recommends a mechanics drip pan for a heat shield. I think you'll be very happy if you get it. Let us know.

Yep, picked it up. The lady of the household wasn't overly pleased, but I think I sold her. "We already have 5 other smokers," she says (we don't)... Little does she know. I will probably put a little money in it and cook, not trying to go overboard and spend as much as I would buying new! Grates and water pan are trash, which I expected. I don't particularly like the rust on the lid, but will probably just live with it. Overall, for $30, it was worth it. Hopefully will cook on her next weekend. Ill post some before/after pics, plan to work on cleaning it up tomorrow.

HOWEVER, didn't have the charcoal grate or ring, so I will need to figure that out. Ideas?

Current cookers
WSM 14.5 (bought recently, haven't cooked on it yet... may sell it now)
WSM 18.5
Weber Kettle Premium
Weber SJ (beach & camping)
CharGriller Akorn - The cooker that got this bug started!
CharBroil "Professional" propane grill (Haven't uncovered in over a year)
Camp Chef Everest (camping stove, very occasional home outdoor use)

A few pics. I squirted it off, will scrub it up good tomorrow.
xqqbN7A.jpg

E0itEhU.jpg

fEWzYik.jpg

Last edited:
$30.00! Great deal, straighten the leg, get a new pan and ring and I’d say you were off to the races!
Looks like it was poo on the lid? Or some other sort of funkitude. Nice score!

Those grates might clean up. Spray em down with yellow can easy off oven clean and put em in a trashbag for a day Then hose off the gunk. That stuff is mostly lye so wear gloves. Ereplacementparts probably has the charcoal ring and the charcoal grate.

For your ring, make one. Use a cooking grate or buy a new charcoal grate and wrap expended metal around it. If you don't weld, wire tie the expanded metal to the grate. Most Ace hardware stores stock weber grates

8553858876_ae0c2175c9_c.jpg

Great deal! This will sound odd enough that I probably shouldn't post it but I have all three sizes that I bought new. If I needed a second one I think I would prefer a nice deal and go with one that had some scars.

Great deal! This will sound odd enough that I probably shouldn't post it but I have all three sizes that I bought new. If I needed a second one I think I would prefer a nice deal and go with one that had some scars.

I woodwork, and almost ALL of my tools, I have bought second hand. Not always because of the money saved, but most of the time its easier because the "first scratch" is already there. I bought my current table saw new, and I was ****ED when I scratched the table. 4 (or so) years later and I no longer worry about it.... Long story short, I think I know what you mean.

Two questions here:

1) The water bowl that came with this is shot (almost rusted through around the edges). I don't plan to ever use water, can I use a foil wrapped ceramic stone instead? Do you even need the ceramic, what about a cheap 15" pizza tray?
2) Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to the DIY charcoal ring, over the actual Weber ring- Besides cost?

Also, spent a couple hours this morning cleaning it up, sprayed it all down with simple green and scrubbed it up. Pretty happy with it so far. Ran to the hardware store and replaced all the hardware with stainless ($12). Bent the leg back into shape. Painted the knob. Bottom vents were rusted in place (the rivet), so had to get the grinder out. Just going to replace all three of them completely. Drilled out the top vent rivet and replaced it with a SS hex bot and keps nut. Top grate was about rusted through in a couple spots, but lower looks ok, going to attempt a rehab of the lower with the oven cleaner trick mentioned above. Also need to sand/paint those rust spots on the lid.
Looks like I need to purchase (or make):

Top grate
Charcoal grate
Charcoal ring
Water pan/diffuser
Bottom vents
Cover

Not TOO bad.

NZAs92f.jpg

uMnBsa7.jpg

Last edited:
I use a foiled pizza pan in my 22.5 and it works fine. I don't know of any difference between a DIY and stock charcoal ring other than cost.

I've been using a foiled Brinkmann charcoal pan for years. Unfortunately they are no longer $5 each (Brinkmann has gone away), more like $30. Time to find an alternative.

Very nice score. Curious. What is the letter code stamped in the vents?

The top vent is stamped with DH, which if my searching is correct, should put it as a 2004 model year?

I ordered the parts this morning. Decided to just order the charcoal ring, for $25 bucks just seemed worth it. I also want to install that thermometer grommet, seems like a nice addition rather than pinching the wires under the lid.

Going to attempt the over cleaner trick to clean up the grates, if not, I will replace the top grate with a stainless grate - Won't replace the bottom grate until needed. Have a little more into it than I would have liked, but oh well.

Costs
Grill - $30
Scrubbing - Free
Lined Door with Nomex Gasket (leftover from Akorn) - Free
SS Hardware - $12
Dampers - $10
Charcoal Grate - $25
Charcoal Ring - $26
Grommet - $7
Pizza Pan - $9
Cover - $16

Total - $135

Could have been cooking for less, without doubt, but should have a solid performer when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Back