Brisket question ,high heat

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Plan to cook a 12 lb packer using high heat at 350 in my kettle. Expect cook to take 2.5 hours in foiled and 2.5 foiled. Understand flat should be raised to 170 internal before foil. Don’t worry about thick point internal temp? Should I cut point off and cook separately to avoid over cooking flat and under cooking point?

Any other tips?

Usually, when you ask 2 people their opinion you'll get 3 answers. (Funny how that works).

IMO, if you're cooking for yourself all the competition and etiquette rules go out the window along with the instructions telling you to "cut on the dotted line".

Not pointing fingers or putting another person's techniques down, but with raised hand..."I'm a cutter and I foil".

Looking down on the brisket, I cut mine straight through where the flat meets the point.
You can foil each section individually as they reach temp.

Also, you know that tip where you cut off the corner of the flat to indicate the direction of cut against the grain? That's not necessary. Just give it a knife cut across the top like you would score a ham. You can slice it off for "sampling" later once it's cooked. :cool:

Bill is right, two people- three answers!
On a brisket (I’ve done five) I trim fat, leave it under a rub overnight, or not, smoke to temperature, I don’t wrap, I don’t separate, I start slicing at one end and wait for folks to ask for more as things progress.
For home use, I absolutely agree, “rules” go out the window, learn from each one collect the data and draw your own conclusion as you go, each one will be different.

And I don't trim, don't rub in advance, don't separate the flat from the point and don't temp. I could not care less what the temp is of the flat before foiling. I simply foil ~ the 2.5-hour mark. Regardless of size, they're done ~ the 4-hour mark.

Back