Cleaning SS Flavorizer bars

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I have a set of SS RCPlanebuyer flavorizer bars for my Genesis 1000 (13 bars total). I got them last summer and have cooked several times on them. I have grilled, smoked, BBQ'ed and rotisseried quite a few meals on it. I have yet to clean the Flavorizer bars. They are blackend but not overly caked with gunk so I haven't really messed with them. Should I? Or is it better to leave them coated and seasoned and maybe clean them up once a year? I plan on getting after them with some steel wool here this spring but haven't felt the need to do them until now. What is your routine for the Flavo Bars?

I just use a paint scraper and run it across to get the main gunk off

I like that plan. Seems quite adequate and relatively easy.

I once tried using a belt sander on a set that was a little rougher trying to make them look new again. Didn't really work out all that well. In real grilling application (as opposed to showing for a sale), as long as they are relatively smooth I don't think they work any better shiny or dull.

Jon, my thoughts exactly. When I rebuilt my grill, it was "SHINY" inside the cook box and the inside of the lid was completely clean and shiny. It will never be that way again. It really helps with resale, but it isn't practical for every day use. In reality, it is better to have it "seasoned". My first cook in the grill was smoking some fish, so it was seasoned really good after that. I will be simply scraping off the inside of the cook box and flavo bars and cleaning out the catch pan and drip pans under neath and then, look for some more animal flesh to burn on it.

I just scrape off heavy deposits as they can hold grease a little too long and cause excess flare up. Otherwise I do nothing

Thanks guys. I was feeling a little like I was neglecting my grill, but now I feel better.

Agree with everyone, mostly scraping. A little two inch Hyde scraper can get almost everywhere you need to, and just be sure to slide the pan out of the bottom from time to time to give it similar treatment. As you say, after a few cooks it won't be shiny anyhow! I'm not advocating Hyde tools, that is my last name by pure coincidence!

Back