I Just bought a WSM 22.5"....Now What?

Clarence

Hi All, just purchased my first Smoker. And guess what it is....WSM 22.5 and having a bit of anxiety.

I have a Weber Summit 650 that I have been slow cooking BBR and Brisket (using shortcuts) on for a couple of years. I hesitate to say smoking, but I did use various smoking apparatus as best as I cood.

Any suggestions on what meats to start with and specific recipes that are easy? I need som simple things to get started along with best option to maintain the temp.

For the BBR, I have always brined them in a 50/50 Sugar/Salt solution for an hour. is this not necessary for smoking?

I plan on using Kingsford Long Burning briquettes along with some wood chunks. anything else I should look at

How hard are Beef Ribs to get right?

TIA

Clarence

Last edited:
You made a good choice! I would start with baby backs and just try doing them the way you've been doing as far as prep. Get some kind of remote thermometer. Depending on what temp you are trying to maintain, there are different setups. I'd use minion method and start out with low and slow.

For your first cook, I'd go for the Renowned Mr. Brown Recipe on TVWBB home page. It is the recipe that led me to discover TVWBB back in 2006, so I'm kinda partial! :)

The hardest part about getting beef ribs for me is finding them! :) I'm with Dustin.....cook something you are familiar with on your previous setup, as that will minimize the variables, and give you a frame of reference for how the WSM is different. The Renowned Mr. Brown is always a winner for a long cook, or you could go simple with a beer-can or butterflied chicken.

Lots of options, and many good eats in your future!

R

The hardest part about getting beef ribs for me is finding them! :) I'm with Dustin.....cook something you are familiar with on your previous setup, as that will minimize the variables, and give you a frame of reference for how the WSM is different. The Renowned Mr. Brown is always a winner for a long cook, or you could go simple with a beer-can or butterflied chicken.

Lots of options, and many good eats in your future!

R

Thanks. will check it out. I have a membership at restaurant depot. I know they sell the beef ribs there, but always get confused about what exactly to buy. That is also where I pick up my full brisket. I live in New York, so these are hard to come by. I usually get my BBR at Costco.

In regards to fuel source, Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes. Is it wrong to use the Long Burning Briguettes? Should I only use the regular ones?

Last edited:
question to all, should I only be using the Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes and not the Long Burning Briquettes?

I have only used blue bag so, I can’t say with any comparative knowledge. It’s going to be a new heat source for you so, I think you might want to try a few and see what YOU like. Some like lump, I like KBB because I’ve used it for forty years. I know what I’m going to get.
Have fun! Just remember, success and failure all end up in the same place!

Clarence, congrats on the WSM, and welcome to the addiction!! As far as charcoal, I think most of us use Kingsford original (you will also see it called Kingsford blue, or KB) simply because it is easy to come by, and we stock up on it when the big box stores run their half price sales a few times a year. If you like the long burning, go with it! I would agree with the others regarding your first cook. Go with what you know, and expand from there. My Mayen voyage was the Mr Brown ribs, and I was hooked from there. You've stumbled on to a great site, where we all want to help others enjoy our addiction to all things Weber!! Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to help. There are no set rules or directions on the road of barbecue. Get a few smokes on your WSM, and you will see what works for you, and what doesn't. Learn as you go, but enjoy the ride! You're about to produce some of the best BBQ you have ever tasted!!
Good luck,
Tim

Clarence, congrats on the WSM, and welcome to the addiction!! As far as charcoal, I think most of us use Kingsford original (you will also see it called Kingsford blue, or KB) simply because it is easy to come by, and we stock up on it when the big box stores run their half price sales a few times a year. If you like the long burning, go with it! I would agree with the others regarding your first cook. Go with what you know, and expand from there. My Mayen voyage was the Mr Brown ribs, and I was hooked from there. You've stumbled on to a great site, where we all want to help others enjoy our addiction to all things Weber!! Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to help. There are no set rules or directions on the road of barbecue. Get a few smokes on your WSM, and you will see what works for you, and what doesn't. Learn as you go, but enjoy the ride! You're about to produce some of the best BBQ you have ever tasted!!
Good luck,
Tim

Thanks Tim. This Mr Brown recipe, is that only for Pork Butts? just wanted to confirm. Was a WSM 22" or 18" used for this recipe? If I fill up the 22 w charcoal, using the minion method, will that last more than 12 hrs?

Am I seeing this right that pretty much all the fat cap is removed from the butt?

Do people have a preference of Bone v NoBone and BUTT/Shoulder vs Picnic?

Also, with the WSM 22, can I do Pork Butt on on bottom and BBR/Beff Ribs on Top?

Last edited:
Clarence, to be honest, you can do any position in that works for you, there really isn’t much hard and fast rule about “Right or Wrong”
I have both an 18 and 22, the 18 was the first step and it’s done everything I’ve wanted, the 22 was. Gift from my brother when he decided he didn’t want to smoke anymore ( I’m going to miss his brisket but, I’ve got equipment now!) and have not fired it yet. Butts are very forgiving so, that’s where I’d start. One valuable tip that I let slip on my first smoke...
“If you’re not going to have anything on the lower grate, take it out, one less thing to clean up afterwards!” That advice was given me by Rich Dahl and I have never forgotten it since!
I like bone in Butts, but, there is no rule. Getting decent beef ribs around here is not always an easy task so, I wish you luck. You can expect a lot of support from the good folks at this forum, they’ve all helped me! When I did my first brisket, I had help from Texas to Aberdeen Scotland to Prescott, Arizona. They all held my hand virtually and made a rookie turn out a very nice product!

Last edited:
Welcome to the best BBQ & Grilling forum and congrats on your new WSM.
Like said above do something you've done before or and this would be my choice the Mr. Brown pork butt would be an excellent choice, they are very forgiving and straight forward cook. A new WSM can be a little wild on the temperature control until they get gunked up a little bit after a few cooks. So if you have to chase the temperature it's not going to adversely affect the outcome.
I've tried lots of different charcoals and have settled in to KBB especially if you're doing a minion or snake as KBB briquettes seem to light off each other better than most of the others IMHO.
Good luck and have fun.

Congrats on the new acquisition. I would suggest pork butt as a first cook only because it's easy and very forgiving and I've never done one that didn't turn out delicious. They are a long cook though, so ribs might be a better choice if you're pressed on time.

Bone-in/boneless -- It's just a matter of preference and availability. If you go boneless just be sure to tie it up, otherwise pieces may flop all over and some bits get seriously overcooked long before others are done. Don't add rub until after you tie it. Rub buried on the inside doesn't work out quite like you'd expect.

Welcome aboard Clarence. "What now?" Have fun. I only brine Chicken breasts and Pork Chops. Everything else gets a rub and maybe an inject. None of this is rocket science and you'll pick it up fast. I use KBB charcoal aqand start it using the Minion method. Chris has a ton of info on everything you asked about on his website http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ I'm not implying that you shouldn't ask questions here because this forum is a great source of info and the good folks here want you to succeed - and you will. I'm guessing that if you did a pork butt and beef ribs you could fit them both on the top grate. Doing both at the same time would complicate the cook. If you want to do the beef ribs for your first cook (and that's what I'm reading from your comments) then read Chris's article on beef ribs, ask questions here, and give it a try. Have fun.

Welcome aboard the Bullet Train, you've made a good choice ! ! !

As far as KBB, it's all I've ever used. A lot of (maybe most) people like it, but there is a segment of the BBQ world that do not, for various reasons. My feeling is, if you and your family don't object, that you're not going to get more bang for your buck anywhere else.

Beef ribs are family favorite here and they are pretty forgiving. I usually cook Chuck Ribs from Restaurant Depot. I haven't seen them in any of my local grocers or at Sam's. Sam's does sell Korean style short ribs, so you could probably get a rack or two of the short ribs before they cut them down Flanken-style. The same should be true of your local grocer if they sell any style of short ribs.

At some point, you're going to want to tinker. When that happens, here are a few suggestions:

Cajun Bandit Door & Wheel Kit
Unknown BBQ Lid Hinge
DigiQ

The most important thing is to get that thing hot & dirty as often as possible ! ! !

BD

Great info all. Thanks.

I tried to do a general search on the main page but didn't find anything specific about this. Remember I have the 22" in case it matters

1. If I only need to use the top or bottom grate for cooking, which one do you use?
2. On all the examples, I see everyone using the Lid Temp to monitor temp If I have a Thermoworks SMOKE . Should I use the surface temp instead of the lid temp to gauge?
3. If cooking on both top and bottom grates, which is the better surface to monitor?
4. Is there a forum or post that talks about mixing meats on one cook, and what items are best smoked together, and which ones should be on the top or bottom grates?

On a complete random item, I do a lot of work with a local dog rescue in NY and I also fish. Any suggestions on smoking fish skin or other really cheap items that might work well as dog treats?

TIA All. Really excited about getting started :)

Great info all. Thanks.

I tried to do a general search on the main page but didn't find anything specific about this. Remember I have the 22" in case it matters

1. If I only need to use the top or bottom grate for cooking, which one do you use?
2. On all the examples, I see everyone using the Lid Temp to monitor temp If I have a Thermoworks SMOKE . Should I use the surface temp instead of the lid temp to gauge?
3. If cooking on both top and bottom grates, which is the better surface to monitor?
4. Is there a forum or post that talks about mixing meats on one cook, and what items are best smoked together, and which ones should be on the top or bottom grates?

On a complete random item, I do a lot of work with a local dog rescue in NY and I also fish. Any suggestions on smoking fish skin or other really cheap items that might work well as dog treats?

TIA All. Really excited about getting started :)
1. I normally use the top grate, because it's easier to get at the meat there. The exception is when I cook chicken or turkey using a vertical rack (like beer can chicken), then I use the bottom rack just to have extra "headroom" to fit the turkey, or four chickens. Plus, I pick up the vertical racks by hooking an old set of Ecko tongs into the top of the rack, so having the racks on the lower grate makes it easier to manipulate them.
2. I have always monitored cooking temperature at the grate level (top grate if I'm using it). But many people monitor at the lid. I think you should pick one location and use it consistently. And you didn't ask, but I'll volunteer my advice on how to fire up the WSM: pick a method and use it consistently. The fewer variables you have from one cook to another, the simpler it becomes to get good results. I always use the Minion method (since before it had a name), and do it as close to the same way as possible, every time.
3. If I'm using both grates I will monitor cooking temperature at the top grate (consistently, as I said). However, I may (and often do) monitor meat temperature on both grates (I have an embarrassing number of thermometers I've accumulated over the years, so I may as well use them).
4. I can't help you with this one. I have never cooked more than one kind of meat at a time in the WSM.

Last edited:
1. Top grate for convenience.

2. Grate temp is generally preferred by most.

3. I would monitor top grate for consistency like Larry said.

4. I guess just think it through. If you have a rub on the top that you don't want dripping on what's on the bottom you might switch it. Some people have safety concerns about poultry dripping on other meats. If you are cooking things to BBQ temperatures that are beyond 165 this really doesn't matter much.

Hi again, If I am putting my WSM on a wood deck against the house, do I need to be worried about flames, heat, burning siding or the deck? What precautions should I take before during and after a cook.

I wouldn't put any grill or smoker " against the house" I've had mine at least 6" away from my wall but you can be sure the safety police ( manual) will say more.
Deck, get a fireproof pad or some pavers. On my 18 I use a large galvanized wash tub to set it in. Haven't found one large enough for the 22.

Tim

Back