The Nerve Of Some People!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I was delivering to one of my Home Depot's yesterday and saw a nice Mastertouch in the receiving area. I asked the receiver about it, and he said that it was a customer return! I asked what was wrong with it and he said it was dirty. I looked at it, and it was filthy! Needed a good scrubbing, from the ash catcher to the Gourmet Cooking grill, but still a lot of cooking left in it!
I offered $20, but he laughed and said the Weber would give him full credit. #@$%&)(&& !!!!!
The customer probably bought it to use for a big cookout, fully intending on returning it when he was done with it. Years ago, when I was delivering for Sears, right after Halloween we would deliver a bunch of these huge, fancy dining room sets. Tables, chairs, side board and china cabinet, the whole shebang!
Then, after the New Year, we'd have to go pick up all these huge, fancy dining room sets!
What a shame that people misuse customer service like that!

seriously - the losers who abuse return policies like this! A friend was telling me how you could return a christmas tree to costco - a live tree iirc, after the season was over. WTH?

REI used to have lifetime guarantees on their gear - your shoes wear out & you have the nerve to ask for new ones - they'd do it. That policy was halted a few years ago - backcountry.com used to have something similar - now it's 90 days.

Some people have no self respect or honor or ? They think they're gaming the system?

I worked for a manufacturer that sold to the likes of the big box stores, and I have no sorrow for them when customers stick it to them. The big-box stores have all kinds of "gotcha's" when you're a supplier to them. From forced co-op expenses, to "warranting" items that have no business be warranted. I have no sympathy for the big box stores, they stick it to their suppliers every way imaginable

Don't get me wrong, I understand you disgust in people with no class, but sticking it to the big box stores sits well by me

When I worked part time at Sears after I retired in the tool dept. which included lawn and garden just before the 4th of July we would have a sale on grills and we would sell a boat load of them. The week after the 4th a lot of them came back for full refunds, they used them for the 4th then just brought them back. The sad part was that we couldn't resell anything that had food on it for health reasons. They had a semi trailer that all the returned grills went into including Weber's and when it was full off to the recycler they went. Most of them were maybe used once or twice.
Had one guy that came in every summer bought a top of the line lawn tractor and the next week brought it back just filthy and got his money back. Why rent when you can cut your four acres of weeds for free with a new tractor every year. He did this for five years before they finally told him no more tractors. So he sent his son in to buy the tractor and they got away with that for two more years.
Guess who ultimately pays for all this. Yep we all do.

I also used to work for Sears, back in the 70's. People abused their return policy because of their motto: Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back

I have a friend who works for home depot. He sees this all the time. People buy a paint spray system, paint their house & then return it - covered in paint! He used to try to tell them no, but they ask to talk to a manager & the manager gives the refund.
Yup, it was all over the news about the lady that returned her live/cut Christmas tree to Costco - after Christmas - a few months ago!
Some people are rotten.

Sears got me ~8 years ago. I'd buy craftsmen tools most of the time because of the lifetime warranty.

I bought a 1/2" torque wrench for ~$90, didn't save the receipt, and the first time I used it the adjuster part of the handle fell off. They wanted ~$50 to fix it and their lifetime guarantee doesn't cover that wrench. I got a couple more, one even from Harbor Freight that works good enough for me.

There was a time when integrity was valued in this country by most of our citizens. Over the last 76 years I've seen that change and it hasn't been fun to watch.

Morally speaking how is returning something that worked as advertised and did the job you needed it to do any different than walking into someones store and deliberately breaking a product they stock?

Yea, watching people at walmart is an eye opener. Guy was returning a canoe. I asked about it. They said he most likely ordered it for a vacation and then returned it after the vacation. I don't like to use words for these kind of whatever because I would be insulting whatever name I use.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who'd had a job in college working at Sears in a regional return department. His job was to destroy the perfectly good merchandise that had been returned used. Sears didn't want it picked out of the trash by someone so they insisted everything be rendered completely unusable. He had to quit after a rather short time because he couldn't take it. He said the destruction of perfectly good stuff was too stressful.

A few years ago I bought a leaf/vac from Farm & Fleet.
Got home and opened it up ( weird because the top of the box was hot glued shut ) Started pulling it out and noticed grass clippings. The vac bag was dirty and this thing was used.
Brought it back and asked for a refund and I got a dirty look from the kid.
He asked why are you returning it?
I said it's used and not by me. Check the time on the receipt, it's only been 30 mins.
He said that is not a proper return policy response for our computer, either it's defective, or your not satisfied with the product or something else?
I said Fine all of the above and get your manager down here.
Two managers and the guy that works in lawn and garden and they still couldn't figure it out.?
They told me, Sir we don't sell used stuff only new. My answer was yea I agree, but someone took advantage of you and returned a used product and disguised it, and you put it back on the shelf.
Not your fault or mine, just give me my money back, and they agreed.
Now when I buy stuff I check the package.

Tim

I have another customer that will destroy ruptured animal feed. When I asked why they don't donate it to shelters, they said it was a bigger tax write off to just get rid of it! Sickening!

Timothy,
A few years ago I bought a pressure washer from Home Depot. When I opened it, it was dirty and had obviously been used. Also, a few of the extra nozzles were missing. Home Depot took it back with no problems. It is a shame that we have folks that will do this.
Ray

Timothy,
A few years ago I bought a pressure washer from Home Depot. When I opened it, it was dirty and had obviously been used. Also, a few of the extra nozzles were missing. Home Depot took it back with no problems. It is a shame that we have folks that will do this.
Ray

I've done worse: The worst thing I ever done, when I was 13-14 I took a ~$40 RC car from Kmart, a friend ran it into the busy road. I put it back together as good as I could: taped up the inside of the shell to hold it together, at least one wheel was broken off & held in place with a toothpick in the styrofoam so it looked like it should through the plastic. I told the person at the counter "it came with a bad servo" and they had me put it back on the shelf and get another one.

I hope no one bought it and had to take it back. That'd be a terrible present if it made it all they way home, got gift wrapped, and then if the kid shook it to guess what it was!

The old lady works for a department store which will remain nameless. Their return policy is crazy. She has seen widows return late husbands used clothes for store credit. Talk about the husband taking her on one last shopping spree haha...

Last edited:
Yep. Instead of renting a tool, they'll buy one, use it, and return it, for a full refund with no questions asked.
I was raised differently.

Tim

Many years ago I was in HD and looking over their as is table from returns and saw this nail gun kit, as I looked it over a sales person came up I asked if there was anything wrong with it as it looked perfect, he said someone probably bought it and used it for a project then returned it, so i bought it for 1/3 of normal price and still using it.

The old lady works for a department store which will remain nameless. Their return policy is crazy. She has seen widows return late husbands used clothes for store credit. Talk about the husband taking her on one last shopping spree haha...
It sounds like the store my wife works at. The name begins with the letter between J and L...;)

Back