The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Lump or briquettes for Hunsaker Vortex

Lump or briquettes for Hunsaker Vortex

I am considering getting the Hunsaker Vortex charcoal basket for my 18.5 WSM. My primary use will be to do hot and fast cooks for pork butts and brisket. For those who have experience with the Hunsaker basket will I be able to get and hold consistent 300 temps for 6-7 hours using KBB or lump? I have a PartyQ ATC that I will probably use with it as well. Will that make a difference?
    99 and 09 Performers, 18.5 WSM, 22.5 and 18.5 OTG, SJG, mini WSM, Summit 420, Q100, KJ Classic, KJ Jr, Tripod Schwenkgrill

TVWBB Fan
    I am curious as well.
    26.75" x 2, Vintage 22", 18.5" x 2, 14.5"

Just ordered one a few minutes ago. Spoke to Ryan at Hunsaker's this morning and think this is going to be a good move. Guess it will give me a chance to answer my own question.
    99 and 09 Performers, 18.5 WSM, 22.5 and 18.5 OTG, SJG, mini WSM, Summit 420, Q100, KJ Classic, KJ Jr, Tripod Schwenkgrill

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    They probably have suggestions. My thinking is you can't go wrong. The only issue would be if the ash clogged things up. Then you might move to lump.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2