Amazing It Took This Long...

Robert C

I have always been happy with Q from my Performer with bricks, fuse, minion and other methods. I don't really cook a lot for a big crowds. Walking through HD last week I looked over and saw a WSM 18 at a phenomenal price and simply couldn't resist, though I was thinking maybe the next grill would be a pellet. Started with a half ring of charcoal and threw on 30 lit goals. Bowl was foiled top and bottom dry. Top vent open, three bottom vents 1/3 open. After everything I read, I was expecting fluctuating temps with a new WSM. Soon did one small vent adjust and then just let it roll.
Temps HR1 264
HR2 274
HR3 270
HR4 246
RH5 253
The thing was so stable I was shocked, especially since this was the first smoke. I just wanted a range of 250-275 and it was spot on. So, if you're on the fence about a pellet thinking it will be set and forget, the WSM is awful darn close! Apologies, I know I am preaching to the choir!!
Robert C

And it only gets better with usage. Great find and excellent post. Your life is changed forever. :wsm: Enjoy the ride.

I really like my 18.5 WSM plenty big enough for the two of us and friends when needed. Like said above once it gets gunked up it will be even better. Hope you enjoy it.

Back