22.5" WSM Question - How much pulled pork can I make?

S Thakkar

Hey everyone,

I've yet to max out my 22.5 WSM, but I'm making pulled pork for my church. Anyone have an idea about how much pulled pork you can yield from it? Or, how many I can feed? Thinking simple: Small sammiches using Hawaiian bread + slaw and potato salad as a side. Thanks in advance for your help.

You should be able to fit 3-4 pork butts per grate. Let's say you do 6 pork butts at 7 pounds each. 42 pounds with 70% yield is 117 four-ounce portions. Your mileage may vary. :D

In a separate email, you asked if I remembered the size of the pork butts in this 22.5" WSM capacity photo:

pq4mYzZ.jpg

Of course I do. I've got the cooking log notes from August 2008...this was a test cook from BEFORE the 22.5" WSM hit the market.

KN0mpYY.jpg

So it calculates to an average of 7.5 lbs per butt pre-trimmed. From the looks of them, some are probably 7 pounds and some are 8 pounds.

Good luck with your event!

What they said. The old thread has some advice that's worth repeating. The cook will take longer than you probably expect. Give yourself extra time and a lot of charcoal.. I stuffed my 18.5 years ago and one 9# butt took 20 hours at 225. I was surprised and yours probably won't take that long. Have fun.

Unlike Chris, I've never gotten anywhere near 70% usable product. Typically, for pulled pork, I get about 50%. I may have gotten more when I was doing chopped, but we were cooking over 9,000 lbs at a time so it really didn't matter.

I always recommend having someone making & serving the sammies as opposed to letting people make their own. If you do decide to go buffet, plan on at least 6 oz. per person.

BD

Back