Thank you for all your help and another question!

BLGreenway

Hey all,

I want to thank you for your patience in answering my questions...I've asked a couple on this particular forum and another on another forum on this same site. For the last couple months I have debated between a pit barrel cooker and a Weber Smokey Mountain. I came to the conclusion that the Weber Smokey Mountain would give me more versatility and would allow me to do some true low and slow cooking. I figure that if I want to, I can also hang meat with the Gateway hangers and get that kind of taste as well. Then I had the decision with whether to get the 18.5 or the 22.5. I made the decision for the 18.5. I'm sure there will be times I will be kicking myself, but 95% of the time the 18.5 will be perfect, and I'll just have to find some creative ways to fit more meat on the cooker.

So, here's my question. I'm trying to follow the basic recipes for beginners. I know so very little and I'm very thankful for the helpful step by step instruction. I figure it is best to go slowly into this. I have already made the basic barbecue chicken on Monday and the family who was there to taste it were very impressed! Next on my list is the basic Baby Back Ribs. The recipe calls for 3 baby back ribs placed on the top grill. I'm thinking I'm really going to need 4 baby back ribs because of the number of people who will be eating, so how does that change the cook time and cooking details of that recipe, since one of those ribs will have to be placed on the bottom grate - right? I'm thinking that the bottom grate will cook a little hotter, so I don't want to overcook that particular rack. Any thoughts how that might change things.

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Bert

Howdy Bert!
I like to use my top grate as much as possible, easier and I believe it cooks hotter because I get better color on top.
A rib rack will fit 4 slabs on the top rack no problem, curling them with a skewer also works.
HTH and good luck.

Tim

No change to time. Total time should still be around 4 to 4 1/2 hours at 225o to 250o. Check 'em at 4 hr.

Put 3 on top (coiled) and one on bottom (coiled so as to centered on the grill grate--away from sides. Not really necessary but it'll make you feel better ;) ).

Last edited:

Back