Winer Winner Brisket Dinner

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
My 3rd go at this rather large fatty piece of protein.

Pretty sure a few things contributed to my first two attempts,

1) bought meat from a bulk box store

2) realize now they both were flats

3) cooked both fat side up for complete cook

resolved issue #1, found a butcher out here in the country and issue # bought a whole brisket, flat and point and issue #3 cooked fat side down then wrapped in peach butcher paper. And wow what a difference. My best brisket (or my first since the others were flats), so far. It was a smidge over 11#’s and was echhem....$65. It cooked as advertised here on the forum just over 11 hours. I’ve been off this week and wanted to get back into what I like and truly miss and that’s cooking good protein, outside over fire, the manly way. I got everything all prepped Monday, I trimmed very little from the brisket. I got up at midnight and let the meat sit out, then got up again at 2am to get this all rolling. 20#’s of KB and 4 large chunks of apple and used 5 prelit briquettes in the caddy and used the minion method. It was 20 degrees out and around 10 mile an hour on/off winds. I pulled it off at 170 and wrapped with peach butcher paper and placed it back on until it hit 203 internal which was just after 1:00pm. I let it set for about an hour and watched Aron Franklin slice a brisket as I think this may have also contributed to my lack of success. This was hands down the best I’ve done so far and have a little more confidence and education on doing one of these. I actually drove two hours today to work on my day off to share some with my work family. I may have gotten myself into more than I planned as everyone enjoyed and said I need to do this more often. The most important person, my funny little honey agreed it was fantastic. I would never have been this successful without the help of TVWBB and it’s memeber, links and so much information on how to’s. Thanks Chris for letting me be a part of this forum and putting together for guys like myself who want to cook good food, outside over fire on equipment made by the best outdoor cooking place, Weber.

sorry no pics so you’ll have to take my word for it. Great bark, great flavor and very moist.

Sounds awesome. Slicing the brisket correctly can make a huge difference. I generally cook fat up on my offset and fat down on the WSM. It really does seem to help block the heat. Congrats on your success!

Nice to hear you had a successful brisket cook. I've only cooked two full packers and one flat and have been very fortunate in having all three being very good.
I agree that without all the shared expertise from this forum I never would have had the success I did.
From the tutorials Chris has posted to reading and seeing techniques that the more experienced folks have shared.

Thanks all I'm not going to ask you all to excuse the pun, because...well if you know me :) "it rekindled the fire" echem :)

Back