Outdoor Cooking Spaces/Equipment

M.Stein

TVWBB Member
Not sure if this is the right space, since I am new, but...

I am looking for some insight. Currently, I do most of my outdoor cooking on an Akorn. I recently picked up a WSM 14.5, but haven't used it yet, and am kind of having buyers remorse (wish i'd have got the 18). Anyway, plan for the WSM was to set it up with ATC for long pork shoulder cooks, overnight. I have found myself wanting/needing a second grill, for example, if I have ribs on the Akorn, but also want to grill up some veggies/burgers/dogs/sausage, you get the point. I am thinking about picking up a Weber Premium Kettle (can get one now, brand new, for $85) as this space.

Not sure what I will do with the WSM, may keep it or may decide to resell it and use the Kettle/Akorn combo, undecided there.

Anway, what all do you guys use for outdoor cooking, what would you recommend, in my position? I would eventually like to build a small outdoor kitchen type deal, and think it would be nice to have a kettle and egg-style cooker built in.

Well, as the name of the site says, I’d say most of the folks here are fans. To put it lightly!
As far as remorse about size, you have just joined the club pal! It’s always going to be about another piece of equipment, that’s the nature of grill enjoyment also the curse, no one unit does everything perfectly, some do more than others but, once you start seeing the advantages of one grill for some things and another for other things, the collecting begins!
Currently I’m infected with 18 & 22 WSM and the corresponding kettles, a Go Anywhere (charcoal) and a Smokey Joe platinum. That’s after thinning out a couple including a silver B gasser. There’s also a small, round, cast iron hibachi suitable for final searing of things which may have been partially cooked via Sous Vide or reverse searing method of one type or another.
My kettle arrangement is shown in the avatar, I’m working on a portable windscreen for smoker use, probably only use one of those at a time. Also getting ready to build a carriage for my super big cooler based on a YouTube design. Mine will be almost twice the size as the one in the video but, same concept.
Serving areas, I have a taller version of the Jimmy Nix iron table (12’ long) that my wife’s cousin made for me, a custom ash and sycamore patio bar, finishing off an ice table for things other than beverages. Of course they are all collapsible except the giant cooler container and kettle carriage. It’s a constant process of tinkering to make the party yard more comfortable and convenient. I’ve been working on it for years, it may never be finished but, for the most part, it’s not a bad hobby, I suppose I could try to sell some of the stuff but, what would I use? I do three parties every summer, when I have all the parts tuned in it’s going to be pretty easy to feed twenty to sixty in the back yard, if they bring chairs!

My 2 main grills are probably my 22.5 WSM and 22.5 Kettle. I could probably do anything I want with this combo. I also have a smokey joe silver, a cheap offset, and a Weber Genesis 1000 that I restored. The gas grill is mainly for quick cooks during the week when I don't have time for much else. I'll be honest, I can't get nearly the flavor out of the gasser that I can with charcoal, it's just there for convenience and utility. I can see where the WSM 14.5 might be redundant in your situation. You absolutely can't go wrong with a kettle, though.

I wouldn't mind a nice outdoor kitchen situation, but I doubt I'd go for built-ins.

My 2 main grills are probably my 22.5 WSM and 22.5 Kettle. I could probably do anything I want with this combo. I also have a smokey joe silver, a cheap offset, and a Weber Genesis 1000 that I restored. The gas grill is mainly for quick cooks during the week when I don't have time for much else. I'll be honest, I can't get nearly the flavor out of the gasser that I can with charcoal, it's just there for convenience and utility. I can see where the WSM 14.5 might be redundant in your situation. You absolutely can't go wrong with a kettle, though.

I wouldn't mind a nice outdoor kitchen situation, but I doubt I'd go for built-ins.

Yeah, I am undecided about the whole built in, but possibly a counter with a hole or two cut out. That's my one complaint now, not having counter space to prep/clean/pick/pull and SIT MY DANG BEER! I drew up some stuff a while back, just to get some ideas.... One of my stipulations though, is it needs to be free standing so that I can take it with me to the next house... I think I am going to pick up a kettle, what's another grill sitting on that patio?

Edit, this was my idea, for the frame... Something to enclose the cabinet for some storage, maybe cedar boards around the outside... Concrete counters. Never finished the "egg/kettle" table drwaing, this was just proof of idea for the wife.
OWihjKp.png

Last edited:
The thing I keep thinking of was how many times my parents redid a kitchen (5 Times) and get it just the way they wanted it just in time for my father to have to take another Parish. I probably will never build in anything for my exterior kitchen, for exactly your reason M.Stein!
My wife is lucky to see a sketch on a cocktail napkin, I just do things in stages, I started doing a brick patio which she loves and last year, I doubled it, I don’t know if I will expand that again but, you never know.
But, who sets down a beer?

Yeah, I am undecided about the whole built in, but possibly a counter with a hole or two cut out. That's my one complaint now, not having counter space to prep/clean/pick/pull and SIT MY DANG BEER! I drew up some stuff a while back, just to get some ideas.... One of my stipulations though, is it needs to be free standing so that I can take it with me to the next house... I think I am going to pick up a kettle, what's another grill sitting on that patio?

Edit, this was my idea, for the frame... Something to enclose the cabinet for some storage, maybe cedar boards around the outside... Concrete counters. Never finished the "egg/kettle" table drwaing, this was just proof of idea for the wife.
OWihjKp.png

I think this looks like a cool setup.

When I moved here I made a wooden BBQ table on casters with, door, drawers, and a tile top. It lived on the back patio. I kept my tools and charcoal in it along with a plastic washtub/sink and it served my purpose for years. I used a canopy to keep the sun and rain off me. Then the wood rotted and I tore it apart. Moved everything in the garage and smoke/grill under the roof overhang. I would love to have a strong structure on my patio for cooking but I'm just too old to take on that build.

In Moorehead City you will have the same sun and rain concerns that I deal with. I chose not to build in grills or smokers so I could put the cooker I wanted next to my table and could move everything indoors when a Hurricane was on the horizon. Those thing do visit you on occasion so that's something you might consider. I hope I'm not discouraging you because I like your thinking.

As far as cookers go. like Timothy said this addiction is a pleasure and a curse. We all just have to find what works for us.

Equipment-wise, most of my grilling happens on an old SS Performer and most smoking on a 22.5" WSM. I also have a couple Jumbo Joes and a Cajun Bandit Stacker that converts one of them into a smoker. I also have an old Blue Ember gasser (cheap Lowe's store brand) which really only comes out for big cookouts where I need to do large quantities of burgers or dogs, or when I need to season some cast iron cookware.

I, too, long for more "counter" or prep space. I have a couple 4' folding tables and a rolling patio cart with fold out "wings", but they're all a bit cumbersome, so I usually just use a TV tray (the folding tables you'd use to sit and eat from a couch in front of the TV, not something you'd put a TV onto).

What I really want to add is a raised temperature-proof table. I do quite a bit of (Camp) Dutch Oven cooking and usually just use a galvanized feed pan set inside the Performer or one of the JJs to hold the charcoal and DO. It can be problematic when I'm using the grills for other stuff (e.g.: baked beans in the DO while I'm grilling some burgers, etc.) Eventually, I'd like to expand our concrete patio (currently about 15x20) and would love to include a brick oven or hearth big enough for a couple DOs and a charcoal chimney. Someday when I hit the lottery...

It seems like you can cover almost all the bases with a WSM, a kettle and a gasser. It's just the two of us here, but we entertain often and an 18.5 WSM and Performer handle most anything. The little Q is great for a couple of brats or burgs, or for grilling vegetables for two people. We lucked into a nice breezeway between the garage and house and it has plenty of space. It's covered by a roof with recessed lights, so cooking after dark is simplified. I got one of those stainless roll-around tables and it's been outside for about 4 years and still shines up new. It's 24" x 48" and the middle shelf is adjustable. I think it was a couple of hundred bucks on Amazon. The garage is right there, so I don't need any real storage.

Grills, etc. by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Jeff

Well, I picked up the Kettle yesterday, figured for $89 after tax I couldn't pass it up. Maybe not the BEST deal you can get on one, if you wait for the end of season deals and such, but figured at almost half the retail ($149) price, was decent enough. I'm not sure if its necessary, but I burnt some charcoal in it last night while I cooked some chicken chunks on the Akorn. Look forward to having it. Still not sure what I am going to do with the outdoor "kitchen/countertop" but i'll figure that out in the coming weeks.

kthkcHD.jpg

I’d say you are off to a good start! A “Two holer” grilling station with some work area will make life a lot more convenient to be sure but, you have to start somewhere. Good luck! Now go out and make a nice feast!

It seems like you can cover almost all the bases with a WSM, a kettle and a gasser. It's just the two of us here, but we entertain often and an 18.5 WSM and Performer handle most anything. The little Q is great for a couple of brats or burgs, or for grilling vegetables for two people. We lucked into a nice breezeway between the garage and house and it has plenty of space. It's covered by a roof with recessed lights, so cooking after dark is simplified. I got one of those stainless roll-around tables and it's been outside for about 4 years and still shines up new. It's 24" x 48" and the middle shelf is adjustable. I think it was a couple of hundred bucks on Amazon. The garage is right there, so I don't need any real storage.

Grills, etc. by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Jeff

That looks like a nice grilling setup you got there. Unfortunately, I don't have a covered patio, hopefully will someday! And I also cannot afford the space in my garage to store my BBQ stuff, as the garage is my woodshop, and hurting on space there as-is! I've thought about doing a small gravel area off the side of out current patio (12x14) for the grilling space, and in my drawing, the "raised bar" section would then sit at the edge of the patio, for bar seating or whatever she decided on.

There are videos on YouTube where T-Roy and others use the base of the WSM as a charcoal grill.

I haven't done that since I grill with propane.

When you have other grills it seems a little “unnecessary”.
I have a silly number of grills and probably should shed some of them but, they all have their purpose and two have never been fired! Maybe those should find new homes....
No, there’s still enough room in the garage to store them and still get the car in, I’ll keep them.
Better organization is required so, I’m glad spring is on the way, there will be a big something placed in the WSM and it can run all day while I clean then I get a real reward! I’m ready.

Back