Hello, Eastern NC

M.Stein

TVWBB Member
Hey ya'll! My name is Mike, grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. Moved to Eastern NC about 7 years ago when I had my first go-round with vinegar style BBQ sauce. HO-LEE-CHIT. I didn't know what I was missing. Anyway, I recently (last year) took up smoking on my own. I bought an Akorn and use that for majority of my cooks. I also have (though, haven't used) a 14.5" WSM, a Smokey Joe for the beach/camping/boat, and a propane grill (Charbroil) that I haven't fired up in probably a year, it makes a good storage spot for my wood chips and such, though! Anyway, I am thinking about getting rid of the propane and adding a Weber Kettle instead, doing some research on that, which brought me here! This year, I built and started keeping a log via Google Forms, should be NICE once I start getting some data!

Besides smoking, which a newfound enjoyment, I also enjoy woodworking, fishing, and just spending time with the lady and kids on the boat. Let just not talk about work...

My two most recent cooks and most recent finished woodworking project.

Saturdays cook, a 9lb shoulder, 15 hour smoke.
vtRRVVN.jpg

Sundays cook, a 4lb sirloin tip roast, 2 hour smoke followed by a quick sear.
29wW2AR.jpg

My latest wood creation, an Arts & Crafts style mantle clock. Made of Southern Live Oak, Motawi Tileworks Frank Lloyd Wright inspired tile.
xqOS6gB.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Mike and great post.
I lived in Greenville, NC until 2 years ago. In G,ville 25 years. You are in a great area. BTW, I think Parkers BBQ offers some of the best hot sauce in the area. They sell it in bottles. Have you had it yet?
Ray

Welcome Mike.

I did 3 tours at Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville) and visited MC with some guys I was stationed with in 1973-74.

On my last tour there (1997-1999) I was teaching a maintenance class on the M119 Towed Howitzer to the 82nd Airborne and one of the guys in the class was the son of one of those MC guys I was stationed with. His being there reminded me I was on my way to getting old even though I was still in my 40s at the time.

Welcome Mike.

I did 3 tours at Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville) and visited MC with some guys I was stationed with in 1973-74.

On my last tour there (1997-1999) I was teaching a maintenance class on the M119 Towed Howitzer to the 82nd Airborne and one of the guys in the class was the son of one of those MC guys I was stationed with. His being there reminded me I was on my way to getting old even though I was still in my 40s at the time.

It is a nice area, and from what I understand, has grown ALOT from the last time you we're here. I moved here for the fishing, work was second. Cost of living is relatively cheap, people are generally nice, and the fishing is first rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome Mike and great post.
I lived in Greenville, NC until 2 years ago. In G,ville 25 years. You are in a great area. BTW, I think Parkers BBQ offers some of the best hot sauce in the area. They sell it in bottles. Have you had it yet?
Ray

Never been, but just looked it up, looks like they have a few locations in Greenville... I will have to stop in if I make it up that way. Thanks!

Back