Freezing packaged, marinated beef

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hi. Can packaged, marinated meats such as this be frozen without noticeable loss of quality? This came from Sam's Club and, occasionally, they are steeply discounted as the "use by" date approaches. Given my rural locale this is as close to a pure Tri-Tip as I will come. If they can be frozen, is it acceptable to do so in this retail packaging, or should I remove and vacuum seal if my intention is to consume it within a few months?

As an aside, could I rinse this prior to freezing and when I plan to consume it just use SPG and achieve favorable results?

Thx for your feedback.

VyoZg2R.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think freezing it will be bad, it’s more about the thawing, slower thaw, less ice damage to the cell walls in the meat.
I would put it in right as it is, after all, it’s already vacuum packed.
Rinse before grilling, I would also avoid any salt, these things are notoriously salty, the biggest reason I don’t buy them(even on sale)
Side thought, get to know the meat guy at Sam’s, let him know that you are looking for non seasoned TriTip, he might be able to order some in for you. Granted, you might need to get a few more than immediate use one or two but, if you get the right guy, they can be very helpful.

BFletcher;
My approach would be to try one, first. I would use it exactly as it comes. It might surprise you. Then, if it pleases you, get some on sale and freeze them. You can then experiment with rinsing and other rubs, etc.

On a similar note, some years ago, I bought a pork tenderloin marinated in a cryo pac. I seared it, then indirect to my preferred level of doneness, and it was quite good. We have done several since, the same way.

FWIW,
Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Lo and behold, after starting that thread yesterday I stumbled on a meat market today. I sometimes travel through Greenville, OH for my work and someone told me about Winner's Meat Farm. I stopped there and they had a nice looking Tri-Tip that I bought. Then, just a tad further south, I stumbled on a tree trimmer who sells fresh hickory, cherry, and apple. :)

Back