Jambalaya On The Grill

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Another busy day in the kitchen and on the grill. I sliced and vac sealed 3 1/2 lbs. of Bacon. Bob's recipe. Then I baked some crusty biscuits for tonight. Finished the day on my cook in the evening. Andy's comment in my recent Andouille post got me thinking about various ways to use up my sausages. I took his thought and made up some Jambalaya. I usually put Linguica. Used my Andouille instead. Here's a few quick photos.

First the rolls. These things are addictive.

enhance

Ingredients.

enhance

Mixed the broth, V8, Tabasco, S&P, paprika and brought to a boil.

enhance

Mixed some celery, onion and red bell pepper and sauteed in my large DO.

enhance

Added the Andouille, garlic and a couple of small bay leaves.

enhance

Then the rice and the ham.'

enhance

Threw in the liquid mixture from my smaller DO.

enhance

With about 5 minutes left in the cook, threw a pound of shrimp into the mix.

enhance

All done. I added a little hot water at the end as I thought it was a little dry. It did the trick.

enhance

Ready to eat!

enhance

This recipe never lets me down. The andouille added a nice subtle heat. We have one more dinner of this to look forward to. Thanks for looking everyone!

Oh.... does that look GOOD!!!! Rolls, too. Good to see a Dutch oven cook here.

Love the rolls. Are they hard to make? Recipe?

Oh yes I'm on my way. Great cook and those rolls... Just looking at them I can see them being addictive.

I'll be stealing this one, Cliff. Looks marvelous, and a great way to use some of that beautiful Andouille you made!

I need to get my grinder out and make a mess of sausages......think I'll be stealing your Andouille recipe, too! ;)

R

Love the rolls. Are they hard to make? Recipe?

Thank you everyone!

Robert and Barb.... Here's the recipe for the rolls. About as easy as it gets.

No Knead Crusty Rolls
For the water, I just use hot tap water. It’s important to make sure your oven reaches 450° F. (my oven takes 35 minutes). For the overnight method, simply switch to COOL water and let the dough rest overnight on the counter top for 8 to 24 hours. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Makes: 8 rolls

Ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
• 1/4 teaspoon instant or dry active yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/4 cups hot tap water (up to 130° F)
Instructions:
1. In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Stir in water. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
2. Cover with plastic wrap & let stand on counter top for 3 hours.
3. After 3 hours (mixture will be puffy and bubbly on top) place dough on a well-floured surface. Using a scraper fold over about 12 times, adding enough flour so it doesn’t stick (about 2 Tbsp).
4. Using a scraper cut dough into 8 pieces. With floured hands, shape each into a ball by folding and tucking, like making a drawstring bag.
5. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet & cover with a dish towel. Let stand at room temperature for 35 minutes. They will puff up but will not double in size.
6. As soon as rolls are covered, start preheating oven to 450° F. Oven must be 450° so use an oven thermometer if possible.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. To re-crisp the next day, preheat the oven to 325° F and place the rolls directly on the oven rack for 10-12 minutes.

Last edited:
Clint your meal looks great.

Thank you for the roll recipe, I read it and just started a batch to go with the soups I have planned for tonight with all the snow we are getting here.

Back