Do You Ever Brine Pork Ribs?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I have brined chicken, roast beef and pork chops - but never ribs.
I like St. Louis better than Baby Backs, but will smoke either one.
I wonder if brining the ribs will make a better rib? Do you have
experience with this? I'm not looking for a salt flavor when I'm done,
which I have experience a few times with chicken and pork chops.
I'm all ears as I am going to smoke some racks this week.
Your comments?

You can. Some people do. I never have. Plenty of flavor, fat, and connective tissue in pork ribs such that liquid brining is not a required step. Most just allow rub to sit on ribs for some number of minutes/hours for a "dry brining" effect.

You can. Some people do. I never have. Plenty of flavor, fat, and connective tissue in pork ribs such that liquid brining is not a required step. Most just allow rub to sit on ribs for some number of minutes/hours for a "dry brining" effect.

Chris, Yes, that is all I've ever done myself. Just thought I'd get some feedback. Mine are always tender w/o it.

Hmmmm, I get hungry.

Actually, I copy and pasted the pertinent information into a word document and use that as my guide.

While brining a slab of ribs, (loin backs or spares), is not necessary, it does offer the opportunity to impart specific flavors you may like into the meat. For example, if you like Asian flavors, you can build a brine that gets some of it's salt content from soy sauce and that unique flavor will be in the meat when you cook the slabs.

Again, brining isn't "necessary" but it's a great tool for flavor enhancement.

Back