Rotisserie Question

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I’m gonna do a smoked chicken on the kettle using the Weber rotisserie. Last time I did it, the skin wasn’t as crisp as I would hope. I set it up indirect with coals in both sides of the bird. I’m thinking about just doing a higher pile on one side of the bird this time. Which way do you do it? How much charcoal do you use?

Thanks!

I usually do both sides Dan and have had decent success. I've seen other roto setups, mainly the pellet smokers, that use the back side only for their heat source. Don't see why it wouldn't work with your Weber. You'll know after your first attempt. :)

I usually do both sides Dan and have had decent success. I've seen other roto setups, mainly the pellet smokers, that use the back side only for their heat source. Don't see why it wouldn't work with your Weber. You'll know after your first attempt. :)

Thanks Cliff! How much coal do you use? How about adding during the cook?

Thanks Cliff! How much coal do you use? How about adding during the cook?

I've never used that set up Dan, so I'd just play it by ear. I don't think you'd double the coals using the ones from the other side. I'd probably go cautiously and maybe 1 1/2 times over for a single side. I'd throw a probe in and keep an eye on your kettle temps. If it starts to drop you may need to add some coals. Good luck!

How much coal do you use? How about adding during the cook?
If you have baskets, load them up overflowing, and put at least four fully lit charcoals on each. You want this to be a hot cook, Even 400 is fine. Two overflowing baskets will last nearly 2 hours running as hot as she goes, you won't need but an hour max. I suggest waiting until the BBQ is really hot before putting the spit in

I agree with Chuck, both baskets, full chimney!
I set the whole kit and kaboodle up, fill the baskets, rack the rotisserie, button the thing up and let it roll, avoid peeking.
For crispy skin, I will dry and salt the skin well before spinning time, maybe half an hour or more. I find a bit more than an hour has been my normal time frame, up to an hour and a half. It’s just about time to fire a couple of them off! Maybe next week...

I've never used that set up Dan, so I'd just play it by ear. I don't think you'd double the coals using the ones from the other side. I'd probably go cautiously and maybe 1 1/2 times over for a single side. I'd throw a probe in and keep an eye on your kettle temps. If it starts to drop you may need to add some coals. Good luck!

Sorry, Cliff. I understood that. I just didn’t word my question well. I meant for charcoals on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks y’all. She’s spinning! Full brief tomorrow.

Sorry, Cliff. I understood that. I just didn’t word my question well. I meant for charcoals on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks y’all. She’s spinning! Full brief tomorrow.

OK Dan. Weber recommends 25 a side for a 22" kettle on an indirect cook. I always use 28 and add an additional 9 or so (per side) every hour of the cook. Works well for me. I don't think there's any right way or wrong way. Whatever works for you and suits your taste. If crispy skin is my main goal, I skip indirect and cook my chicken over medium heat, flipping as often as necessary to avoid burned skin. My only exception to this is chicken cooked using the Vortex. Good luck. Will be eager to see how it turned out.

Last edited:
I have used the rotisserie a few times now and I agree with everyone else. Hot and fast. I load both baskets up and place along walls of kettle. If it isn't 350 or higher then the meat just doesn't turn out right. The high heat is where the rotisserie really shines.

I looked at my (ancient) Weber cookbook, 25 per side is what it calls for, I just use a fully involved chimney and fill the baskets evenly, for a two hour cook, I don’t refill. Just get it on button it up and let it roll.
Somehow I missed Chucks statement about 4 coals. Somehow that doesn’t make much sense for a hot cook, maybe I missed something?

Are you indicating that you load the baskets, yet start each with just four fully-lit coals for a hot cook?
Yup, but don't lose track on my final sentence

If you have baskets, load them up overflowing, and put at least four fully lit charcoals on each. You want this to be a hot cook, Even 400 is fine. Two overflowing baskets will last nearly 2 hours running as hot as she goes, you won't need but an hour max. I suggest waiting until the BBQ is really hot before putting the spit in

OK Dan. Weber recommends 25 a side for a 22" kettle on an indirect cook. I always use 28 and add an additional 9 or so (per side) every hour of the cook. Works well for me. I don't think there's any right way or wrong way. Whatever works for you and suits your taste. If crispy skin is my main goal, I skip indirect and cook my chicken over medium heat, flipping as often as necessary to avoid burned skin. My only exception to this is chicken cooked using the Vortex. Good luck. Will be eager to see how it turned out.

So, what I settled on was to use an almost full chimney. I added 10 per side. The chicken skin looked pretty good, but I didn't taste it. I did pinch it in one spot and it was ok. Since this week is crazy, here's the finished bird at rest. I'm thinking next time that I want to smoke it in the smoker and finish it on direct heat on the grill to crisp it up.

eHJ6Fhnl.jpg

I fill a chimney with lump charcoal and put on either side.
If it's a big chicken, I put some unlit charcoal as well. If it's a smallish chicken I don't bother.
I almost always put a drip pan underneath with onions and potatoes.
When the drip pan onions/potatoes are done (generally the chicken has reached safe temperatures by then) , I remove the drip pan and move the charcoal under the chicken to crisp it up.
Works a dream for me

Back