Weber potato nails

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Anyone use these? What do you think of them? Saw them at Wally World for 10 bucks. Almost bought but didn’t want it to sit in the draw with the rest of my impulse BBQ gadgets...

Using large real nails was a thing some time ago, but I think it's been proven that they don't really speed up the cook time, or add anything to the texture.

I've had a set sitting in the closet unused for a couple of years now. I keep meaning to do a blind test of nailed vs. unnailed baked potatoes. Maybe this thread will serve as the kick in the pants I need to get it done. :)

Many years ago I had the Weber potato corn rack. You could stick spuds or ears of corn on a round rack with nails sticking up.
I didn't really notice any difference in time or texture vs just cooking on the grate.

Tim

I’ve got a “Corn and ‘Tater rack” hanging out in the garage...somewhere. I wonder if it will obstruct the rotisserie set up, set up with some care I bet it will clear the spit, now proper heat positioning might take a few minutes to sort out. I’m going to think about this one.....

Last edited:
CI's test:
"To test the theory, we selected three potatoes of the same weight. We left one alone as a control, impaled one on an aluminum potato nail, and threaded the third on a stainless-steel skewer (an easy stand-in for a stainless-steel potato nail). We baked them all in the same 350-degree oven, rotating them after 30 minutes. True enough, the aluminum-studded potato finished first, the stainless-steel assist came in second, and the control potato took the longest. The surprise? There was only a 7-minute difference between the speediest potato and the slowest."

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8620-how-to-quickly-cook-a-potato

I have the tster and corn unit. Thought I would use it but never have. Maybe I'll use it for sardines. I also have those old folding aluminum units that fold out and hold 4 potatoes in a compact area. I'll try it in my my lifetime, maybe.

I think I used my C&T rack once or twice, I thought it would be a great piece of equipment, sometimes you make the wrong decisions, aint life funny? I have a ton of stuff out there which I think will find it’s way to the Salvation Army or a garage sale this summer. There is about fifteen pounds of crap in a ten pound garage out there!

Back