Turning bulky meats

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hello. I've recently done a few Tri-Tips on the WSM 14 and for the [reverse] sear I pull the midsection and place the grate on the charcoal ring. On my first attempt I used an oversized spatula to turn them several times over 5 minutes but lost some of the bark. Last night, I sandwiched them between the two 14" food grates and flipped several times as needed. It worked without incident but I feel it's risky. Can you experts tell me what utensil you use for larger pieces like this? Thanks!

I either use 12" tongs (Oxo brand are my preference), or my PVC gloves that I use for moving around butts and briskets. For a tri tip, the tongs should work just fine.

HTH.

R

Costco will shortly selling their packages of tongs (as well as Santa Maria grills) excellent tongs. I would fear disaster if I was using a spatula to flip big meats

unless it is almost done and tender I have several pig tails of different sizes that will not knock any of the seasonings off,gloves to remove when tender and done

For flipping Tri Tip tongs work fine for me too. For the larger cuts I also have a nice set of meat forks. They are 4"x 11" and do a nice job as there is little surface area that actually touch the bark.

enhance

For easily transporting meat I purchased these heavy duty racks from Malcom Reed.

enhance

They are fantastic. I place butts, briskets and turkeys directly on them and place rack and meat right on the grill and let it cook. When done, I simply place the rack into a large foil pan and carry into house. If I'm foiling I usually use the forks to transfer the meat to the foil, wrap and place back on the rack and continue to cook. Very little touching the bark except for the tines of the forks or the rack itself. The racks get pretty crusty after a long cook but I simply place the greasy rack back into the foil pan and give it a good soak in warm, soapy water and it cleans right up.

I cook a lot of tri tips and the only utensil I ever use is a steak hook to turn or transfer roasts. Never have to worry about removing your rub when turning. They come in different sizes and steel thickness.

I do appreciate the depth of feedback. RE: the hook mentioned by Dustin; during my earlier searches on Amazon I pondered "why are they giving me hits on brake spring hooks?" ��. Now that I watched a couple vids I understand.

I have a pair of 'Bear Claws' that are made for shredding pork that I use for lifting and flipping large pieces of meat like pork shoulders, whole chickens, or even a turkey.

Great tip Dustin. Glad I checked back on this thread. I just ordered one of the meat hook flipping tools. Looks like it is ideal for a lot more that Tri Tips. Thanks!

I got my hook several years ago from an eBay seller. He made them out of stainless steel, and used a chainsaw file handle for the handle. It's held up very well, and gets used often.
The old "don't poke meat, it lets all the juices out" has been debunked, after all, that's how we take its temperature.

gssKoSz-pziBVcggyH3bfzT8oWoFWQx-ToiNz4mI1XpChxosFhcjGfwg5OyMkNEkm-NtFIzZE7MGETeRHT0yx4_UGW26I1tu1_ZKq9NrwwLqP-4W_8LnWd1Clmy_fbZ-AY8948FKX6U1sbklSH8upEplEkYLRO5eB9AitnK0CljuxX_pUsANd8aZDH9VhK8qKKx5PHvj230jg7q7d_f0efhMgDJ644VPPVwlVz6glFjzoqZGGW-WPOai6TuloTkq1PqmT27y8ogSa1VFzP_qKjRtSI-YYIrtX7AdKhSqD3esAXV4E4DJYEP4nMJHH6jYEj1JtVPanLjBoIfgLPwstwKFrPhdIUjJoWOIBTAqCQynprgs4FPJfB67HHOAtWig2ky8xEsR0-o8GagDyg0VEgflXWWE-XcYMofq495lIdOnlirf2tKW1ekNs2iak4lacvFSU5pnHPaOSNoGRc9wCIlg6Gqj07LQxZNGTBVDfOjFBEiW9tABjf1Z2nrMtzQDuET-QspJ8tEmXEgjcpbKIi8iX0heF476BK3k60nwNyC6z0fZ_ZdF6p3eLq-hZkZlZ758J0z2BG20zsvEgOovZEnrVLgFWKlU56GTjuNO=w1194-h896-no

For the really big cuts of meat -- pork shoulder, brisket, rib roast -- i use my hands covered with some silicone gloves my brother got me a couple years ago. Prior to that I'd sometimes get a couple big wads of paper towel to protect my hands or use welding gloves and paper towel. The silicone gloves work really well. Only issue is they eventually do get hot and mine are kind of hard to get off so I've learned not to hang on to hot things for too long even with the gloves on.

I got my hook several years ago from an eBay seller. He made them out of stainless steel, and used a chainsaw file handle for the handle. It's held up very well, and gets used often.
The old "don't poke meat, it lets all the juices out" has been debunked, after all, that's how we take its temperature.

gssKoSz-pziBVcggyH3bfzT8oWoFWQx-ToiNz4mI1XpChxosFhcjGfwg5OyMkNEkm-NtFIzZE7MGETeRHT0yx4_UGW26I1tu1_ZKq9NrwwLqP-4W_8LnWd1Clmy_fbZ-AY8948FKX6U1sbklSH8upEplEkYLRO5eB9AitnK0CljuxX_pUsANd8aZDH9VhK8qKKx5PHvj230jg7q7d_f0efhMgDJ644VPPVwlVz6glFjzoqZGGW-WPOai6TuloTkq1PqmT27y8ogSa1VFzP_qKjRtSI-YYIrtX7AdKhSqD3esAXV4E4DJYEP4nMJHH6jYEj1JtVPanLjBoIfgLPwstwKFrPhdIUjJoWOIBTAqCQynprgs4FPJfB67HHOAtWig2ky8xEsR0-o8GagDyg0VEgflXWWE-XcYMofq495lIdOnlirf2tKW1ekNs2iak4lacvFSU5pnHPaOSNoGRc9wCIlg6Gqj07LQxZNGTBVDfOjFBEiW9tABjf1Z2nrMtzQDuET-QspJ8tEmXEgjcpbKIi8iX0heF476BK3k60nwNyC6z0fZ_ZdF6p3eLq-hZkZlZ758J0z2BG20zsvEgOovZEnrVLgFWKlU56GTjuNO=w1194-h896-no

Can't see your photo Bob. Just the "minus" sign. Sounds interesting.

Back