Got carried away

JeffSBBQ

A few weeks back I pulled my E-310 out and started my yearly clean up. The cast iron grates were pretty rusty so I ended up buying a set of stainless grates from rcplanebuyer. The flavorizer bars I bought from him 2 years ago were in perfect condition. Then noticed my crossover burner tube was shot and the middle burner tube had a 1 inch long hole at the end. Called Weber cust service and they sent a new set of burners under warranty. Also noticed the paint was bubbling up in some places on the cabinet and had some surface rust here and there. So ended taking everything apart for a repaint.

Here is a listing of the items and cost.
Paint - $58.90
New SS grates - $174
New burner tubes - $0 replaced under warranty
Misc SS hardware $6.55
Wire brush for my angle grinder - 14.99

Total 254.44

I already had sandpaper, steel wool and an assortment of SS nuts and bolts not counted in the cost.

I used about 1/2 of this 4 oz can of POR15. A thin coat is all you need. Used "Cast Iron" VHT on the frame and RO Ultra on the fire box.

RyFHgUm.jpg
[/IMG]

The cast iron paint looks crappy when it is wet but dries to a smooth satin finish.

hRUvxYd.jpg
[/IMG]

Halfway done

K18jyxk.jpg
[/IMG]

The finished product..

0t0ieIv.jpg
[/IMG]

D0dHthx.jpg
[/IMG]

Good job jeff. Hopefully you cleaned up all the problem areas that are common on those grills and you won't have to do that kind of maintenance for MANY years to come now.

I have an E310 that I need to dig into this spring.

Very nice work Jeff that looks fantastic. Nice looking vette in your garage, that got my attention too. Sold my 63 split window vette 25 years ago and regret it every day since.

Great job! I like how your dark gray came together and the black firebox looks just fine. I think your money is well spent. I think this model offers some of the best of both the classic Weber burner setup and the larger size and modern look of the newer grills. (That isn’t to say that I don’t also love the classic Genesis with wood slats; both have their merits.)

With the high quality parts you used you should be good for quite some time. I am sure you know, but just keep an eye on the lower cabinet and bottoms of the legs for any signs of rust. You might want to preemptively treat with a rust preventative. Keeping the cabinet clean and dry and maybe even waxing will also help.

Best wishes. Do some great grilling!

Jon

Did you use the VHT on the table end caps? Is it actually black or Dk Gray?

Really nice work. Using the por15 should keep her rust free for many years. I think you'll love the solid stainless rod grates. I've had both and much prefer stainless.

I had a buddy in high school that had a '63 Vette. Beautiful car. I had a '76 cobra mustang. We spent a lot of time drag racing and other assorted mischief in those cars.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Picked up some good tips in other threads that really helped. Special thanks to Bruce who pointed out the grey paint I originally picked out was gloss and would have looked bad.

Yes like a primer. I used it on all of the places that are prone to rust. The vent holes, bottoms of the legs ect. Everywhere the paint bubbled up and there was surface rust. I used a cup wire brush on my angle grinder to clean up those areas. It is supposed to bond to the metal so that moisture cannot get to the metal causing corrosion. It dries very hard and is difficult to sand so use 2 thin coats.

BTW POR15 is basically the same thing (type of product) that I have been recommending from Eastwood.com and their Rust Encapsulator. And yes trying to sand or grind that stuff is like trying to sand or grind ceramic IOW nearly impossible

Larry, I ordered some rust encapsolator from Eastwood, but mine was more of a paint primer type stuff. I think it was a different product that this POR15 and the stuff you are talking about.

Can you buy that POR15 locally?

POR15 and Rust Encapsulator are nearly identical products. So not really sure if you're comparing the proper products. RE is a VERY heavy liquid and hardens (like POR15) to a very tough ceramic like coating that literally turns rust into something nearly as hard as stone. I have used both and price seems to be the major difference.

Larry, I ordered some rust encapsolator from Eastwood, but mine was more of a paint primer type stuff. I think it was a different product that this POR15 and the stuff you are talking about.

Can you buy that POR15 locally?

I am pretty sure I have seen POR-15 in an auto parts store, but the best deal I have come across is Walmart.com:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/POR-15-R...ack-4-00-oz-can-Case-of-6-P-N-45006/171019325

This deal let you get six small cans which I think is a lot better than one large can. Once you open this stuff up it wants to harden. It is pretty easy to have the lid get stuck and have a total loss of what is left in it. The smaller cans are a lot more manageable letting you use a small amount at a time. Buying six makes sense if you plan to use the product on multiple restores over time.

I don't know about the other Eastwood products you are discussing, but POR-15 makes an awesome improvement. Not only does it eat up the rust and prevent more but it also notably strengthens rust damage metal. Don't get me wrong. If the metal is gone it is gone and POR-15 can't bring it back. But it will definitely reinforce metal that has been weakened by rust. It is sticky, messy stuff to work with:p!

Back