Sous Vide $70

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm not considering this since I'm planning on using my IP Ultra but:

Monoprice has a sous vide cooker unit for $70US
215941.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p...svide_hero&utm_campaign=180226_sousvide_21594

Last month they had a really nice SV machine at Sam's on closeout for $39. It looked to be a really nicely made machine. Sorry I didn't snag one up

Can't speak for this gadget, but everything I've purchased from Monoprice has been good quality.

Certainly an economy sous vide device, this one is also only 800 watts, it's one of the smaller heaters. OTOH, you just might be able to run 2 of these on a single kitchen circuit (if you're wired for 20 amp circuits, not 15 amps,) the 1000 watt & up heaters can make that problematic.

The wattage is mostly going to impact the time it takes to bring the water to temp. Since sous vide is generally for long cook times and then holding at the desired temp, whether it takes 10 minutes or 30 minutes to bring the water to temp isn't such a big deal. The other thing would be maintaining the temp, but in a suitable container that isn't as big as a bathtub, 800W should be more than sufficient to maintain typical sous vide temps. My electric kettle is only 850W and it will bring a pint of water to a full boil in five minutes.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the 800W.

Back