Cooking for 100-120 people

WillB-Marine

Howdy howdy folks,

In late May, I was asked to possibly smoke enough pulled pork and chicken for at most 120 people. Initially, Im thinking I'll need
x8 8lb pork butts (feed 80)
x8 Whole chickens (feeds 40)
x2 bags Kingsford Charcoal

Plus seasonings, containers. Donating the time it'd take to smoke this all, as its a fund-raiser for fellow Veterans.

What else do I need to consider which may accrue cost? I'll be smoking this in my 18in WSM and my Char-Grill stick burner with Hickory and red oak

I'd double the charcoal, and add one for backup (total of 5). Never have too much but NEVER run out . I'd guess that you're not planning on seconds re: butt. Calculations indicate about 5.5oz per person as it stands.

Last edited:
Yeah was thinking about 4 bags at least, but I will be using Red Oak logs in the Char-Grill, will only need Charcoal to finish that cook unless the wifey allows me to finish it in our stove (we're expecting, her nose now rules the house). As far as seconds go, minimal is preferable. Any we have remaining will probably be taken by whomever wants it

Then I agree 4 would be sufficient.

One thing I would add: do NOT do this self serve. Use portion control. Determine what your final product weight is and use an electronic scale to portion out meat/bun.

If you don't, I guarantee you will run out of butt.

Last edited:
I consistently lose 50% of my pre-cooked weight when doing butts. So, with 8 of them, I'd plan on 32 lbs of finished product. With 80 diners, you're looking at almost 6½ oz. per diner and that makes a nice (not huge, but nice) sandwich ! ! !

I've never really cooked large numbers of chickens for an event, so I don't have an idea of the pre-cook vs finished product ratio. I mean, if you figure the same 50% loss, you would end up with about 20 lbs. of product. With 40 diners, each one would get up a half-pound, I guess.

I do agree, though, that it should not be set up as a buffet or you will run out.

I love doing charity events and, Thank you - and your friends - for your Service ! ! !

BD

Looks a little light to me but, I can chow down with the best of them!
For that number, I’d bump to 10 butts and a dozen chickens, but, you have not told us about the fabulous sides...yet.

Do you know for a fact that you can fit all that on the two smokers you mentioned? Would it be possible to grill the chicken instead of smoking it?

If you buy your meat from Costco they have Case pricing. Right around the 44# mark (case) the price per pound drops...... I forget........ 25-40 cents per pound, so be sure to ask.

Looks a little light to me but, I can chow down with the best of them!
For that number, I’d bump to 10 butts and a dozen chickens, but, you have not told us about the fabulous sides...yet.

Sides would be brought by someone else. Last I was told, the sides were donated by a local BBQ shop

Do you know for a fact that you can fit all that on the two smokers you mentioned? Would it be possible to grill the chicken instead of smoking it?

I think 100 people would be the max, tbh. The most Ive smoked was 2 butts, a whole turkey and fatties on my char-grill firebox

Back