Need Help... Does anyone know the year of this Genesis

Jose Robles

TVWBB Member
Hi Guys...

I been seeing Rich Dahl rehab posts and now I have the flu....

I seen this red head on offer up... Got him down to 25 bucks... He said the tags are warn so he cant make out the year?

Can you guys help me?

Thanks
Edit: Still learning how to post pics

56ij3zVm.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to be a Genesis 1000. The picture is pretty small, but I think the drop down table on the left is missing. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good grill on the outside. Even if the cooking grates, burners and flavorizer bars are toast, it is still a good deal IMO as long as the frame is in good shape.

I would guess the manufacture year to be in the 90's as that looks like real wood. I really don't think you could pin it down to a specific year off of that one picture.

An Arizona redhead :redgenesis1: where, as Rich points out, rust is prohibited:D!

Hard to see how you could go too wrong on this one. I agree with Bruce that it is probably a 90's version.

Parts are readily available from a lot of sources, so be patient in doing your search for them. I know from experience that it is really easy to let the "fever" or "flu" cloud your judgment and the next thing you know you are buying way too many brand-new Weber parts. Look around and even ask on this forum for used parts where that would be appropriate. Assuming you need them, I would save where I could so that you can afford to put it where it counts and buy flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer/Dave Santana. That advice is based on you wanting this grill for a long-term "keeper".

Good luck with the restore. If you are able, keep the pictures coming as you make progress. Us warm weather folks have to keep this section of the forum alive while our northern friends are in hibernation!:cool:

Jon

Last edited:
So true Jon. While I am not rehabbing old grills right now, I am still grilling. I did a couple thick NY STrips for dinner tonight and then a 5 lb batch of Buffalo Chicken Wings that I am taking to my folks house tomorrow. We will put them in the over on a baking sheet to warm them back up and glaze the sauce on them.

All on a grill Very similar to Jose's above. Mine is 1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead.
Here it is shortly after fixing it up.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71283-Bruce-s-Genesis-Red-Head-1000-Restore-Before-amp-After

Go get that Redhead Jose.

I think it's a 1000 too. Does it have two rows of flavorizer bars, criss crossed?

The wood table grills are rare here in PA this time of year, it will be interesting to watch craigslist as we go through the spring. But my humble opinion is that the wood side table 1000 to 3000 Genesis models are rotting away and becoming more rare. People throw them out when the wood rots, even if the fundamentals are sound.

Long winded, but I think that is a great grill. I have a 3000 that I turned into a 2000 and I love it. Lots of wood side tables and lower table and a heck of a great grill. Rotisserie, cast iron grates.

You can make that grill as great as you want, it's such a fantastic platform.

Good luck!

Tim

That looks like a 1000 redhead and I think the fold down part of the shelf is on the bottom storage area. Go get that grill Jose as those for sure are keepers!

I think sams right, the shelf appears to be at the bottom. Made plans to pick it up Saturday. Guy lives 10 miles away from me. Tile the wife my plans and she said another one lol. Told her this will replace my char stainless steel grill which I’ll post on offer up. It only fair right. I’ll keep you all posted

Yah, that does look like the swing table and I think I can see the pivot bar as well. Good deal, but I don't know that the swing table rod holder is still on the end of the frame. The actual pivot rod might be gone too, but that would be super easy to fabricate if necessary.

Go get that bad boy and put the foreign junk on the curb. If you are luck a scrapper might grab it on his way to the recycling center. Once you get that thing fixed up and running, you will wonder why you didn't have one of these years ago.

Good luck.

I'd say early to mid 90's if the tables are wood. Later 90's if they're "Durawood" (plastic made to look like wood). If the left swing table has a rod that locks into a hole on the front leg it's VERY early 90's. Though since it has a caster on the left side legs it's DEFINITELY early to mid 90's a prior to 93 IIRC the left side legs did not have casters but simple pads

I think L Michaels has it right. Also lots of parts are available on the net and EBay. I still have my 1999 Green Genesis 1000 that I bought new. I converted it to a 2000 with dual flip up tables.... Great grill.
I restored a deep box red head last year but never used it. Last fall for color and grins I put it on Craig's list for $250 just to see if I would at least get a couple of inquires. It sold within one hour at full price and to say I was shocked would be a complete understatement. I even got four more calls on it before I could pull the ad down.
Red Heads are really popular and getting harder to find.

So true Jon. While I am not rehabbing old grills right now, I am still grilling. I did a couple thick NY STrips for dinner tonight and then a 5 lb batch of Buffalo Chicken Wings that I am taking to my folks house tomorrow. We will put them in the over on a baking sheet to warm them back up and glaze the sauce on them.

All on a grill Very similar to Jose's above. Mine is 1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead.
Here it is shortly after fixing it up.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71283-Bruce-s-Genesis-Red-Head-1000-Restore-Before-amp-After

Go get that Redhead Jose.

Bruce,

Thanks for pulling your restore thread up. That one is a real beauty:D. It is a good motivator for me to hang in there for 6 more tax season weeks and then get back outside and get something done! I have a red hood that I hope I can use to make something along the lines of what you did. The rotisserie is extra sweet!

Jose,

Well, you definitely have a high standard to aim for;), but that one you are looking at can be just as nice with some patience and hard work. Best wishes on making it happen!

Jon

I pick it up on Satuday. Turns out the guy no longer had the drop down table. Says he might of thrown it away. The post was 4 months old so anything is possible. I ended up getting it for $20. I hooked it to the propane tank when I got home and it fired right up. According to the tag, model number is ER 298142 which weber schematics says Genesis 3000. Do you all agree? For the most part its a solid grill just needs a lil tlc. The flavorizer bars are done so that will be my first buy.

6yD8HhVl.jpg
rE7mJLSl.jpg
sJrJNVAl.jpg
d9kJeSQl.jpg

If it was a 3000 it would have a side burner to the right of the knobs, so it looks like a 1000 to me. I have a 3000, and the frame is wider to accommodate side burner to the right of the controls.

If it was a 3000 it would have a side burner to the right of the knobs, so it looks like a 1000 to me. I have a 3000, and the frame is wider to accommodate side burner to the right of the controls.

I agree. Might be that someone previously swapped out the control panel cover.

$20 bucks, I think, is a GREAT deal for a very restoreable grill with a nice bright red hood! Looks like you also got halfway decent cast iron grates (assuming the two are stacked on top of each other) and even the often missing warming trays. The fold-up side tray may take a little searching, but it will be all worthwhile when you get it done. Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

Jon

That is not the model number. That is a serial number. I can tell that the grill was manufactured in 1996. But that is not a Genesis 3000 unless it had some modifications done to it.
Is the serial number clearly readable, I think maybe you have one or two numbers wrong.

This is what a Genesis 3000 would look like:

WkkqH2U.jpg

Bruce has reliably provided pictures! Excellent work Bruce. Jose, you have a 1000, which is an excellent, excellent grill. Two rows of flavorizers. Enjoy the grill!

Tim

Tim, thanks

Jon, correct cast iron grates are stacked on each other. Need some cleaning.

Bruce your correct, that was the serial number. I had to look at it in an angel to see the numbers so I could have one wrong. Model number on the panel is 210000. Thanks for the visual of the 3000.

9rXVM9E.jpg

I tried all the combos on that serial number that I could think of and punched them into the Weber web site but I can't figure out a correct SN for a Genny 1000 off of that photo. You may never know the true SN of the grill, but rest assured, it is a Genesis 1000 manufactured in 1996.

You have a good start there for a rehab, but you are going to have to put some money into it get it back to snuff. I see you still have the swing gate rod holder that goes in the end of the frame on the left. That holds the swing gate rod in place. But you are seemingly missing the entire swing gate and it's associated hardware. That is the most difficult to source. You also are missing the support rod it would seem. But, you have the slide on the frame. You also have the bottom shelf and seemingly the support brackets which is good.

It looks like new flavorizer bars and cooking grates might be in order as well. I assume the burners are good as you said they fired up nicely. You might keep your eyes open for another Genesis 1000 that you can combine to come up with a complete grill. Otherwise, buying all the parts needed will cost quite a bit.

I was able to pick up a spare grill which is in better conditions than mine but is ng. I have took my lp apart and began to sand. Should I paint the firebox with high temperature gloss paint as the cart or should be be a dull black high temp paint? Thanks for the help in advance.

Back