Weber Q 2200AU Burst into flames, trying to repair

Jared BG

Alright lads, I love my weber Q 2200AU running on LPG. Went to start it the other night and it made a strange sucking sound before I ignited it. Once it lit, the flames were dancing along the top of the hot plates way larger than I have ever seen before they suddenly shot out the side and around the control knob. I had to quickly shut off the gas at the bottle. Ive checked all hoses and fittings etc, everything seems tight with correct o ring and seals. The only thing that stands out to me anyway is the burner pipe itself has a large hole in the bottem and the steel mesh seems really flexible.
pr59HqDl.jpg

31MwKYDl.jpg

It looks like its surpose to be there but its all caved in a bit and discoloured from heat.

That hole is the venturi where fuel and air are mixed prior to fully entering the burner pipe. My guess is either the regulator failed and full tank pressure entered the burner tube or the tube is clogged badly. But the burner area you're showing is not damaged
Actually looking at the photos I have to ask "where is the regulator?"

Leaky fitting??? And right, no regulator. What kind of pressure is in your tank?? Is there a regulator on the tank?? Glad you were able to get it turned off without any major damage..Let us know what you find.

Yah, I thought all Q Grills had the regulators built into them. It looks like someone took out the original regulator and connected directly to the manifold/valve. If there wasn't any regulator on the hose, then it is pumping full pressure fuel into the burner, hence the inferno.

Maybe a conversion so the regulator is at the tank ? For sure, if the unit was working before then I would assume the reg is bad.

Well his own photo shows no regulator on the tank so not sure how it ever could have worked

Yah, one would assume there was a regulator on the tank or hose. But the fact that he had a nuclear meltdown and the photos don't show a regulator and there is no mention of a regulator, it makes sense the conversion was done incorrectly. However, it could also be a regulator gone bad or spiders or other critters having plugged up the burner tubes or jets or whatever.

There had been a photo there that showed a tank with a hose on it but no regulator IIRC and no regulator on the valve

George, that is the point. None do. We are just speculating that there may be no regulator on the grill which is the cause of the inferno. Until we get more info, that seems the most logical reason for his flare up.

Strangely I recall there being 3 photos on that original post. Not only that the OP seems to be strangely absent. Perhaps saw the error, removed the photo and abandoned the thread?

I was thinking that he was absent as well. I don't remember seeing a third photo when I first viewed the post, but there may have been one.

I took the regulator off of mine so I can only use it on my camper with a quick coupler,I'd be afraid to hook straight to the tank

Typical for a lot of forums. People have a question and find a forum dedicated to the item they have a question about. So, they post the question and get their answer and are done with the forum. Not everyone is a Weber grill enthusiast, they just need a little help once in a while.

I hope he got his answer and is all fixed up though.

Back