How to clean burner tubes

Mike_S

TVWBB Member
I have a Q1200. I tried gently scrubbing the holes with a brush like they show in the Weber videos, but part of the tube still has trouble lighting when I start the grill, and there are a few holes that barely flame at all, even after I get the rest of the tube cleaned. I'm sure there is quite the accumulation of gunk in the tubes since, admittedly, my maintenance has been sub par. Can I salvage my burner tubes or will I have to replace them?

I have seen some members suggest GENTLY using a pin of the correct size to free up the openings. I have done it with some success. If the tube is full of debris the best plan is to blow it out with high pressure air. If you don’t have that option I would think you could use water if you then dry really well.

We have some way more seasoned experts here who can hopefully give some more input.

Glad you joined the forum!

Jon

Get a can of spray brake parts cleaner. It cleans it out and leaves no residue. It helps if you have compressed air also but not necessary. Gently open up any holes with a paper clip or such (IMO way too much caution is given that heaven help you if you enlarge a hole slightly). Odds are you would not be able to do so because stainless is VERY hard. So a paper clip, tiny screw drive, small punch, what have you.................unless you purposely try you will do no damage.
After brushing and taking care of each hole either shake the burner out or blow it out. I shoot the solvent in and blow them clean.
Another oddity I have found on "Q" models is you have to wait a short bit BEFORE you try the ignitor (I wait about 15 to 30 seconds) on my Q220. Then the gas will get all around the burner and ignite evenly

Another oddity I have found on "Q" models is you have to wait a short bit BEFORE you try the ignitor (I wait about 15 to 30 seconds) on my Q220. Then the gas will get all around the burner and ignite evenly

I agree with the wait time--I might even wait a full minute after opening the propane dial full blast before turning the dial of the Q.
And I have poked the tube of my Q200 many times with a thumb tack pin, and have never had any issues except good performance.

I have a case of various sized of inexpensive drill bits. Some are quite small. I just find the one that fits the holes and carefully drill out each one. Then, take a wire brush on a drill and go over the burner holes with that. Then spray water into the burners and tilt it until all the water drains out. Do it a few times until no more crud comes out. Just like new.

At least that is what I do with Q burners that have holes clogged badly. Other wise, just the wire brush on a drill will clean them up good.

Yup, I have to clean my q220 burner tube holes at least several times a year. I have small drill bits and use one of those. You need to make sure you are actually cleaning the hole out. The carbon is tough and may make you think the hole is clean. You can also use a torch tip cleaning tool.

the tiny drill bit works great. However, you wouldn't believe how many tiny holes there are in a Q100 burner tube until you go to drill each and every one out. I can't imagine a Q200 or worse, a Q300.

I just cleaned my Q-320 last weekend. I went through each hole with a safety pin doing the best I could to free each hole of any debris. Tomorrow my 16 yr old is set to clean "his" Q-200. He has taken over the loins share of our grilling, so I feel he needs to know how to keep his webers clean so they will last him a lifetime. I would love to find a drill bit to clean the Q burners as it would speed things up tremendously.
Tim

Tim: I bought a cheap set of drill bits. It has a bunch of different sizes and had about a dozen of the size that is perfect for the Q burners. I don't remember exactly what size it was, but I suggest the cheap ones any way, since you are likely to break one or two while doing the cleaning...they are pretty tiny and might work better in a small driver than a regular drill/driver. I am sure you could probably find some cheap ones in a Harbor freight or even a big box store. If I remember, tomorrow, I will try to figure out what size I used and post it.

The drill works a lot better than a safety pin or wire or whatever since the holes get built up with corrosion and a simple pin won't always knock it out.

BTW, this is one of the single best tips I've read on using the Q.

It actually makes lighting much easier and I'm not sticking my head in there blowing at tiny flames trying to get it to go.

Normally about 5 seconds should be enough. But each q is differant so just adjust to your q. Just a reminder, never light a gas grill with the lid closed ! My friend long ago did that. The results still crack me up.

Normally about 5 seconds should be enough. But each q is differant so just adjust to your q. Just a reminder, never light a gas grill with the lid closed ! My friend long ago did that. The results still crack me up.
I am sure that is very good advice, but I have always lit my q grills with the lid closed. If I suddenly quit posting on this forum, that would be evidence that there is a first time for everything.

Years ago my parents had a Weber gas kettle. One Sunday we sent our brother out to the garage to light up the grill. Things were normal for a while until about 20 30 min went by and someone finally noticed Ray was missing. Looked all over the house couldn't find him, finally we went to the garage and found him sitting on the floor front of his hair and eyebrows singed off, face red and eyes spinning around. Lid from the grill laying upside down on the floor.
When we finally got him "around" we're like "what happened?" He said "I'm never lighting another grill again". He followed our directions EXCEPT he did not leave the lid off. So there he was, gas going in that thing lid on and he's down low trying to push that stupid igniter up and click it. Of course his face was right next to the kettle. He FINALLY got the thing pushed up it clicked and BOOM the lid blew straight up, a fireball came out, singed his face and blew him against the solid brick wall, he hit his head and it knocked him silly. Took him a long time to live that down LOL
Moral here? Open the lid!

Nah, not really, but I have found that it helps with lighting it since the wind doesn't affect it as much and doing it that way has never been an issue in the thousand times I have lit a Q grill. I get a slight "whompf", but that's it. Nothing like the lid being blown open or flames shooting out every opening or anything scary like that.

But, then, I guess there is a first time for everything.

Back