I Said I Would Never Do This Again

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After I finished restoring the red head 1000 last summer I told Barb never again would I restore another grill.
Well some much for that idea. I was cruising Craigslist and to my surprise here’s a 2002 silver B for free 15 minutes from my house. It had been listed just 20 minutes before I saw it. The guy said he was moving and it had to be gone by 1pm or Goodwill would be taking it.
No phone number just an address so Barb and I jumped into the 4runner and drove over to take a look. It was in pretty decent shape so I dragged it home.
Going to need a new 8” wheel and new flavorizer bars, the grates were the stamped ones and shot but I had an extra set of CI grates that fit it. It has a new regulator and I even got a new full bottle of propane.
Burners are in good shape and it’s a greenie like my 2000.
Frame is fine so just a little clean up and I’ll flip it.

If anyone has an 8” wheel that goes to a 1000 or later silver series they would like to part with please PM me and let me know what you want for it.
To keep Barb happy I want to keep the cost down on this one and I think $20 + shipping for a new plastic wheel from Weber is ridiculous.

Something that made me suspicious was included with the grill was a NG hose. When i tested the burners with the propane the flames were high and very orange. The ID tag says the grill was LP but with the regulator being new I'm suspicious that it was converted to NG with a NG manifold and then converted back to LP by just adding a LP regulator.

Your thoughts?

25632308317_92d3244dce.jpg
[/url]100_2484 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

25632314997_1f5877694f.jpg
[/url]100_2485 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

40460862732_f138f9edb4.jpg
[/url]100_2488 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yah, I would be suspicious of the regulator as well. Those flames are horrible, but could just be a dirty/corroded burner or a shot burner.

This is a better deal than Weber for the wheel. It would be less than $20 shipped.

https://www.bbqparts.com/silverb.htm

Great find and good luck. Keep us posted Rich.

Looks like it doesn't have a tank holder. If so that is a clear sign it started as NG.

Regarding the wheels, are you looking for the old style with the basic whitewall with WEBER on it, or are you needing the newer style with the "flowery" white part with WEBER on it?

Rich,

You gotta stick it out, regardless;)! I might have a Silver manifold. PM me if you want me to check and see.

Jon

Rich,

You gotta stick it out, regardless;)! I might have a Silver manifold. PM me if you want me to check and see.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I have a manifold that is from a 1000 looks like it will fit I'll give it a try first.

Looks like it doesn't have a tank holder. If so that is a clear sign it started as NG.

Regarding the wheels, are you looking for the old style with the basic whitewall with WEBER on it, or are you needing the newer style with the "flowery" white part with WEBER on it?

Yep the old style, If you have a spare I could really use it kind of hard to move it around. I took off the one wheel and the casters to get it to sit even so I could work on it.

It does have a tank scale and the ID tag says it's LP. That's why I think it was converted to an NG manifold and then they hooked up a regulator to the NG manifold.

I think that's a NG grill with an LP regulator and hose retrofitted

I think your right Larry, I had a mismatch the other way around with a LP manifold on a NG grill, but haven't experienced this mismatch.

Rich,

If you have any 16 gauge wire lying around try inserting it into the orifice holes. If it fits its an NG manifold or at least the orifices are, only 18 gauge I believe will fit in the orifice holes of a propane orifice.

Update:
I checked the jets on the manifold with a known NG manifold and the jets in the Silver B are definitely LP size. So I didn't know about the valves if they were NG or LP. It sure would be nice if Weber would label the manifolds as LP or NG.
Anyway I noticed that the center burner was the only one that had a solid orange flame, so I pulled the burners out and they were full of almost like a fine sand. Especially the center burner the tubes were solid with no external rust or corrosion. I wire brushed the openings in the tubes, some of which were plugged.
The flavorizer bars were almost completely gone so that may be what was inside the burners.
I put it back together and it now burns a nice blue color, so I think I lucked out.

As this is the first B series I'm doing a rehab on I discovered a few things seeing that all my spare parts are for Genesis 1000-5000. I discovered that the grates are the same size. The manifolds won't interchange as the valves are spaced further apart on the genesis, also the burner tubes are longer on the Genesis.

So the project will go forward now, Well at least when the garage gets a little warmer.

Last edited:
I was wondering if a Genny 1000 manifold would fit on a Silver B, now I know. Good luck finishing the rehab.

That's cool, Rich. I wouldn't mind restoring and having a Silver B. It would have to be the right price. I didn't find a silver A locally, but I didn't really want to bother with it.

Update:

As this is the first B series I'm doing a rehab on I discovered a few things seeing that all my spare parts are for Genesis 1000-5000. I discovered that the grates are the same size. The manifolds won't interchange as the valves are spaced further apart on the genesis, also the burner tubes are longer on the Genesis.

That is some good info. I did know that the burner tubes were different lengths because in my trove of old parts I have tubes and crossovers from both the 1000-5000 and from a few Silvers. That part makes sense, because the firebox is different having one row vs two rows of flavorizer bars.

I am pretty sure you can put a 1000 Genesis hood on a Silver firebox (or vice versa) but you cannot mix the end caps because the porcelain hoods are not shaped exactly the same.

What I am looking forward to resolving for myself is whether the frame itself is unchanged so that you could use either a 1000 firebox/manifold or a Silver firebox/manifold on a frame from either grill. My concern is that the control knobs won't line up. Anyone here actually tried this?

Update:

That is some good info. I did know that the burner tubes were different lengths because in my trove of old parts I have tubes and crossovers from both the 1000-5000 and from a few Silvers. That part makes sense, because the firebox is different having one row vs two rows of flavorizer bars.

I am pretty sure you can put a 1000 Genesis hood on a Silver firebox (or vice versa) but you cannot mix the end caps because the porcelain hoods are not shaped exactly the same.

What I am looking forward to resolving for myself is whether the frame itself is unchanged so that you could use either a 1000 firebox/manifold or a Silver firebox/manifold on a frame from either grill. My concern is that the control knobs won't line up. Anyone here actually tried this?

Just for color and fun I took a spare control panel cover from a 1000 and placed it on the silver and it fit perfectly, although the valve spacing on the on the front and rear valves was off because of the 1000s wider manifold. So my guess is that the if using a 1000 firebox and manifold along with the panel cover it would fit in a silvers frame or the other way around.

Just for color and fun I took a spare control panel cover from a 1000 and placed it on the silver and it fit perfectly, although the valve spacing on the on the front and rear valves was off because of the 1000s wider manifold. So my guess is that the if using a 1000 firebox and manifold along with the panel cover it would fit in a silvers frame or the other way around.

Well, I hadn't thought about that. I was hoping to use a newer control panel cover but with the 1000 firebox and manifold. I guess that idea just went. My Skyline dream grill keeps getting trickier:confused:.

Thanks for that info. When my miserable tax season is over, it will help me focus on what the realistic solution is going to be. If I am set on the newer style control panel (because I like how it looks!) and can use the Silver C frame (assuming I can adapt the sliders to work with wood slat trays), then I might have to accept using a Silver 5 bar firebox but with the 1000 series style Genesis hood.

Hey, knew to the forum, but have noticed lots of folks have (and restored) these style, Weber 1000 or Silver B grills. What makes these so sought after and worth the time/effort of a restore? Honest questions, not trying to start a war.

Hey, knew to the forum, but have noticed lots of folks have (and restored) these style, Weber 1000 or Silver B grills. What makes these so sought after and worth the time/effort of a restore? Honest questions, not trying to start a war.

Quality construction and ease of getting parts. Also they are great cookers. A big plus is the cast aluminum fire box and you can get aftermarket upgraded parts like flavorizer bars and grates SS and cast iron.
Also like myself I like the east / west burners vs. the north / south style most grills have today.

I still have my genesis 1000(now a 2000) that I bought new in 1999 if you take care of them they will last a lifetime.

DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr

+1 What he said The older Genesis was about the best thing going especially factoring in the price. Not to say they were cheap (inexpensive) they certainly were not. IN the early 90s paying close to $600 for a grill was a lot. But, Weber was a much better company than. They really did make a QUALITY made FULLY in USA product and backed that product up (unlike the Chinese importer they have become today with more hit/miss coverage). Back then they didn't abandon their customer while in warranty as they have been known to do now (personal experience) the product was well designed and well thought out for the best flexibility of about any gas grill on the market. They could do ANYTHING from low/slow, outstanding rotisserie (thanks to the east west burner layout) unlike today's grills which are useless for rotisserie.
And with minimal care and upkeep they lasted and performed very well over decades of use. Many of us still have (still in the family) have early Genesis models we bought new, and never once needed a warranty part or service. Again unlike now where they've become about on par with run of the mill ones but still charging a premium for that "name".
I think there is only one mainstream company still making a mid market gas grill her in the USA and that is Broil Master (though most of the grills from Onward Mfg (Broil King, Huntington, etc) are made here in Indiana (some in Canada eh?) but I don't put them quite in the league of the original Genesis (especially the deep box 2 row ones).
Hope that clarifies it for you!

Welcome to the forum!

I would toss in the comment that these grills, particularly the early Genesis models with the wood slats:redgenesis1:, have an enduring charm to them that the modern stainless grills just don't have. You can see that in Rich's beautiful grill picture, and if you search through our threads you will see some other well-restored grills with stunning wood colors. Many here, including me, really like the classic 'redhead' versions, but there are also some other sharp colors including dark green, maroon and gray. My very favorite is one that I am currently trying to find time to finish - the Skyline Series which featured a black hood with white graphics of the Chicago skyline. If you search on this site you will find some good posts and pictures of it as well.

If you are willing to invest the time and effort into restoring a good candidate older Genesis, you probably will never be satisfied with anything else!

Jon

I agree with Rich and Dale above. They are great grills that are higher quality than most mainstream grills on the market today. You can pick up a used one for $50 or less and many times put less than $100, some time and elbow grease into it and have a grill that will last you another 15 years with proper maintenance.

I Have a 25 year old Genesis 1000 that looked almost brand new when I finished it. I put in a new set of burners for less than $20 and a new set of Stainless Steel RCPlanebuyer Flavorizer bars for about $70. I added a nearly new rotisserie for another $30 and I have one hell of a grilling, smoking, BBQing machine that will perform as well as a brand new Genesis II E310 that costs $750 and will outlast it as well...guaranteed.

And it is a Redhead with beautiful wood slats for the table and swing table.

Also there is a lot of folks that have done restores or refurbs. If you decide to do one post on here and ask any questions you may have. A lot of us have takin the lumps and the bumps learning by doing. We all would be happy to answer your questions and save you some grief.

Back