Hanging rack mod for 22" WSM

Thomas Domenz

can't post attachments ! :(
anyway, I decided to make my own hanging rack for ribs, fish chicken, whatever
out of 1/2" copper I made a crude ring approx 14-15" in diameter with 4 "legs to fit on
"J" hooks using the existing holes for the grate supports
Gonna do chicken and or Salmon tonight and Ribs on Wed
Cost approx $10 all in !

I saw it on fans of the Weber smokey mountain earlier. Nice mod.

rE4cz2U.jpg

So I tried it out with ribs and chicken - works AOK ! Smoking is different as you get more smoke into the meat due to pan and grate omissions. Also I found the orig Weber hanging rack, decided to buy that after reading comments about copper in the cooker :(. Also I had used way too much hickory - toooo strong a smoke flavor. I like the hanging arrangement tho. Gonna do another chicken today - split in 2 and cherry wood. I expect a much more pleasant result !

Yeah, water pipes are copper, copper bowls for whipping egg whites, Cream etc., what’s wrong with copper?
After looking at your rack, I might need to make one myself, somewhere I heard something about filling tubing with sand to prevent crimping, I might make it square though, I don’t have a conduit bender either.
Hmmm? Great, now I have something else to store! I have to clean the garage!!! You guys are killin’ me.

Last edited:
Well I guess some would freak out about the flux and solder ( maybe dripping or leaching onto the meat )
I would think a couple of sacrificial burn offs would take care of that.

Tim

You could skip the solder and dry fit it and put screws in the joints couldn’t you? But, I think you are probably right the solder would sweat off after a good burn off.
No, no, no! Clean garage first!!!!!
Finish projects underway before launching into another one!
Oh, squirrel!!

Last edited:
I have a Weber 7472 expandable smoking rack (the one that comes with 5 fish hooks and two support bars), and it's missing the support bars. Unfortunately, Weber seems to have discontinued this accessory, so I'm on my own. I was thinking of cutting up some 1/2" copper pipe to use as a replacement for the support bars, but I was wondering whether the copper might bend with the heat. Did you use type L or Type M pipe? I figure the thicker Type M pipe would be less likely to be affected by the heat.

I don't have to worry about solder, all I would be doing is cutting the pipe to the length of the support bar and then cutting a notch on each end .

Back