Brisket on WSM

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
I'm finally getting caught up somewhat where I can relax and enjoy the new diggs. I was really spoiled with the BBQ place at the last house and the drive to and fro work. We had a ginormous awning which allowed for any weather grilling and a whopping 10 minute drive to and from work. Now, no awning, and at least an hour ride (on a good day)with all the crazies in the metropolitin area until I get back out into a country area. I miss my BBQ and would love to be able to get back into the grove. I'm off the first and last week in March and would love to rekindle the fire, pardon the pun.

I guess one would think that my being here for a while now I would have this down by now but truth be told I still haven't had that "AH HA" brisket yet and of course I've only ever done 2, yep that's right 2 :)

Ive made notes of my cooks on set up, weather, time ingredients and results and both times it was ok but not like I had wanted it to be. I cooked both times with the fat cap up and did the minion method and was very pleased with the way the candy machine ran for as long as it ran but the end result was that they we both a little dry even though I pulled them at the 192 temp suggested on here.

Does anyone have some tips on ways to make one they really enjoyed? I think I will look for the "pink butcher paper" but are there any suggestions on how to's on set ups and cooking that really hit the mark for anyone?........Bueller?.....Bueller?

I know there are people who swear by hot & fast, but IMO, the high heat is what dries the meat out. You can always inject it with broth. I've done that twice and several times without, but I also foil it. I purchased a roll of the pink paper and used it twice. I'm not sure if the paper is the way to go for me since I like to save the juice and use it (au jus).

I also cut my brisket in half (as you look down on it) where the point meets the flat because the flat is thinner and is done (cooks) first.

Back