It's NOT a Weber

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I have been intrigued by Pellet Grills for some time. My wife doesn't like strong smoke flavor so that's not a negative in our case. Seeing one in Lowes prompted me to see what was on Craigslist. I found a Rec Tec Mini at a decent price and after negotiations I got it for $350. Not a steal but it had only been used twice and has 18 months left on the warranty. I went to pick it up and it's like new. He fired it up and I was convinced. The Mini is just the right size for us. I'm not getting rid of my Webers but I'll play with this and see where it fits in. As soon as I said I could get 500° with it she asked if I could make Pizza on it. YUP!
Do I have to do Penance for walking on the dark side? :confused:

Start your walk of shame now Lew!
Actually, pellet grills were discussed last night while waiting for things to finish off on the kettle. That sounds like a pretty good deal, I don’t know if I will get one or where in blazes I’d put it if I did!

Congrats on getting a pellet grill Lew!
I'll walk with you since I just got a Kamado (no cooks on it yet)
My oldest son has a pellet pooper and loves it.

I, and probably you too, look forward to new challenges, and new methods of cooking.

Ban them Both! JK of course :)

My friend got the tailgater version of the Trager & loves it, and my neighbor is always bringing me samples off of his Trager. I know so little about them but they do look nice.

My only advice is to keep it more protected from the elements, since it has all those nice parts and electronics, that's the only problem I see with it (more care and more chance of problem, but they appear to have good support and a following.

Let us know how it works for you.

https://youtu.be/eW2EAMMkwac

I too am guilty of introducing non-Weber BBQ's into the herd. Truth be known, I'm having a good time doing so too. Congrats on your new grill

Well, I have the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. Guess I'm in the mix too. I've been looking at Kamado style cookers as well. Right now I'm content, but the interest is out there lurking.

Like I've said before, it's the cook not what it's cooked on that's important to me. I like seeing other types of equipment used for grilling and smoking. My Daughter has a Trager and loves it. They do a lot of entertaining and it frees them up to mingle with their guests. Some really good chow has come off that Trager.
So with that said I just picked up a silver B in pretty nice condition for free. Going to fix it up and flip it.
With the bucks I'm going to get a Lodge Sportsman grill so I will soon be under the 100% Weber threshold.

Last edited:
No flames from me Lew.
Son's gave me a vertical propane smoker for x-mas. I was surprised cause I never expressed any interest in one, but I like it.
6 slide out racks makes it easy to use. So far we done mostly jerky, goose and venison rumaki and a few slabs of ribs.
I was seriously looking at a Traeger or a pit boss awhile ago and still might buy one.

Tim

Last edited:
I cranked it up to 550° and it cooked a delicious Ribeye with a light sear which my wife prefers. I was surprised because I had heard that steaks were the weak point of pellet grills. My walk of shame lasted for 2 miles and now I'm pleased. I have to keep the Webers if only as post Hurricane cookers. Actually, I enjoy cooking on everything I have and each has it's purpose. The Rec Tec sort of takes the place of my 18.5 WSM I gave to my daughter.

Lew, congrats on the new purchase. A good friend of mine has a Rec-Tec and loves it! Said its the best grill he has ever owned. No shame in branching out, or diversifying, myself, I just had a cowboy wok made and my son and I are loving all the different meals we can cook on it! Post some pics, I'd love to see the RecTec in action.
Good luck,
Tim

I suppose having multiple pieces of equipment is much like having multiple instruments, I completely retract the “walk of shame” comment, even that it was given in jest!
I am primarily a mandolin player but, also play guitar and banjo, they all serve their designed purpose.
More instruments, more pieces of cooking apparatus, they all do their proper jobs!

Timothy, I thought the walk of shame comment was great. I'm such a died in the wool charcoal guy that I actually felt a tinge of guilt. That has passed. The Rec Tec Mini has about the same cooking capacity as the 14/5 WSM but all on one rack. I can do a full packer or 2 Pork Butts or 2 racks of Ribs on the one rack. I like that. The Rec Tecs are so expensive new that I would have only gotten a used one. Only time and lots of cooks will tell me if I made the right move. Darn, I have to eat more BBQ :wsm:.

I have a Memphis Pro pellet grill that I use often and love for the "set and forget" ability. I use a remote wifi thermometer and I don't have to check the smoker until the thermometer beeps and tells me it's done. The Memphis Pro has dual pellet hoppers so I can fill it up and let it go for up 16 hours without refilling. It's double insulated so wind and cold do not affect the cook. I still used my WSM in the Spring and Summer.

Tim, you asked for pictures so I'm trying Imgur for the first time. Yesterday doing a 4 lb Boston Butt.

Last edited:

Back