Charcoal grates vs cooking grates

Jose Robles

TVWBB Member
Hi guys... first time posting. So I recently picked up a 2005 wsm 18.5 for 50 bucks but missing the lower cooking grate. I priced it for about 35 bucks with shipping but found the charcoal grates for 22.5 is the same diameter (17in) which is only about 10 bucks. Any issue using charcoal grate (new of course) for cooking? Thanks guys, I’m sure this won’t be my first post.

That’s probably true enough Tom. The thing I’ve found though is I rarely use the lower deck, probably my own loss but, I can get three butts on the top grate.
After my first smoke, I had a very kind message from Rich Dahl stating the brilliant ting that I missed totally...”If you’re not using it, take it out and you won’t have to clean it up.” And “Dont forget to spray the grates before you load and smoke.”
I felt pretty much like an idiot for missing such obvious labour saving ideas! I think I have to go out and sort through some racks. “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly” piles will be made and I will use my custom made grate washpan with a scrubby and some Dawn sounds like a nice sunny afternoon project...not today for sure! I still forget to spray the grates sometimes!

Last edited:
Yea, I don't even know where mine is, but a charcoal grate from a 22.5" is the same ( just not nickel plated )
Keep it oiled cause it's just raw steel.

I got a bunch of top grates ( I buy a few a year on CL ) and those will work, they won't fit down in to the tabs on the lower bracket but will sit on the bolts.

Tim

Welcome to the Forum Jose. Good first post and good find on your WSM. You'll find lots of helpful folks here. Like Timothy said, get in the habit of removing the lower cooking grate before a cook unless you're going to put food on it.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought the coal grate. Had some oil substance on it which I washed off and burned the over my 22.5 kettle to be safe. Since my wsm is pre 2009 does not have a thermometer at the dome, I’ll have to mod it. I ordered that this morning. Getting ready to smoke 40lb of pork butt next month. Can’t wait!!! Going to be my first smoke with the wsm. This is an upgrade for me from my cheap brinkmann smoker. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Jose. I'm sure you gonna love the WSM. If I may, since you're adding a thermometer, I would recommend a Tel Tru:

IMG_3372.jpg

Probably a bit more accurate than to stock Weber one.

BD

Unfortunately I had ordered the Weber thermometer already, rookie mistake I guess . Got it today and already installed. I added a gasket using red rvt over the weekend along with a door knob. Going to smoke a brisket this weekend. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve lol

EDIT: Took me a couple tries to add pictures
o4FK1IHm.jpg
4TTaSZTm.jpg
aPPPg0Qm.jpg

Last edited:
No big deal, when it goes south, order the other one. The most important thing that I’ve seen is to learn where the discrepancy between the dome lid and grate temp are and remember the difference. You will be fine.
What are you planning for your first smoke? Send pictures!

I was going to cook a brisket but the neighbor came over with a 20 lb golden canyon roast beef this afternoon. Said his father in law gave it to him and doesn’t know what to do with it. Guess I’ll keep my brisket in the deep freezer for another occasion.. I’ll post pictures Saturday. I’m new to the form but loving it. So much info feel like i fit right in

My neighbors never bring a blessed thing over, let alone a glittering gem like that! Oh, some lousy cookies were brought over a while ago but, that’s certainly no comparison to a beautiful piece of beef like that, you must be a very fine fellow!

Here are the pics from this weekend smoke out. I started with 20lbs beef roast. Went on the smoker at 11pm Friday and pulled it off at 4pm. Temp stayed at 225 degrees. I probably could of took it out a lot earlier or started smoking it a lot later. Overall, I was happy with the results. Only regret is using a mixer to shred the meat. I should of went with the claws but was being lazy. I had a few people over for dinner/ufc fights, no complaints but I dont think they would of said anything if there were haha.... Smoking 40lbs of pork butt this weekend for my sister's party. I'll post pics sometime next week on a new thread.

rc4jU9Bl.jpg
AGc2Godl.jpg
Qlnwnadl.jpg
MDF0dRJl.jpg
LcT5oirl.jpg

My lower grate mainly sits in the garage unless I need it. There are some aftermarket stainless steel grates out there, that are probably way overkill like killagrilla and expensive, but you'll never need to replace them.

Back