Cajun Andouille Sausage

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Decided to restock the freezer with my sausages. I started with Cajun Andouille as it is my favorite. Here's the pic's.

Put together the mix. Used 3 1/2 lbs. of pork butt, 1 1/2 lbs pork belly, ground coarsely. Also mixed some grilled onions, K Salt, Instacure #1, dry milk, minced garlic, cayenne, paprika and ground cloves and allspice, dried thyme and mixed in 1/2 cup of good red wine (not shown).

enhance

enhance

Got them stuffed, no blowouts today. Made 19 fist sized sausages. Let them hang inside for an hour.

enhance

enhance

It was 28 degress outside when I started this cook. Went with a 4 line snake. Could have used 3 easily. Got WSM up to around 150. Pecan wood chunks.

enhance

Got them rolling.

enhance

This was around 4 hour mark. Sausages temped around 130.

enhance

Right around 6 hours.

enhance

Gave them a few more minutes after temp bump to bring them up to 155

enhance

Put them in freezer for a quick cool down and then in fridge until tomorrow. Then I'll vac seal and freeze.

enhance

Snake was just about right. Total time 6 hours and 20 minutes.

enhance

I was really pleased with this batch. Maybe a tad more cayenne next time.

enhance

Thanks for looking everyone!.

Outstanding Cliff I love this stuff have a freind who brings it up from the great state of LA. and yours looks every bit as good to me.

Oh..... that looks so good. Hog casing? Care to post the recipe?

It's a good time of year to make sausage - at least in SoCal. 'bout time to get myself going.

Those look phenomenal. I'm trying to perfect my recipe. I was too lazy for minced garlic and grilled onions, but it looks like I need to add that, along with the red wine!

That looks perfect Cliff. Making sausage has been on my bucket list forever, just not sure where to start.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

Hog casing? Care to post the recipe?

Yep Robert, I used LEM hog casings. Here's the recipe I used as well.

Cajun Andouille Sausage – Recipe from Hank Shaw

Ingredients
• 1 cup onion, diced
• 1 tablespoon lard or peanut oil
• 3 1/2 pounds venison, pork, beef or other meat
• 1 1/2 pounds pork belly or fatty shoulder
• 33 grams kosher salt, about 3 tablespoons
• 4 grams Instacure No. 1, about a heaping teaspoon
• 25 grams dry milk, about 1/3 cup (optional)
• 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
• 2 teaspoons cayenne
• 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon clove
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
• 1/2 cup red wine or beer (put in fridge to keep it cold
• Hog casings

Instructions
1. Heat the lard or peanut oil in a small saute pan and cook the onions over medium heat until they are soft, translucent and slightly browned on the edges. Remove from the pan and let cool.
2. While the onions are cooking, take about 10 to 15 feet of casings (typically three lengths) and submerge them in warm water.
3. Make sure you remove as much silverskin as possible from your meat. Cut the meat and fat into 1 to 2 inch chunks and toss with the salt, Instacure, dry milk, garlic, cayenne, paprika, clove, allspice, thyme and powdered mustard. You need the Instacure No. 1 as a safety measure when you smoke the links; if you don't plan on smoking them, you need not use this. You need the dry milk to help the links hold onto their moisture: If you skip this, they will still taste good, but they will shrivel up when you chill them. Put everything in a container and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the mixture is 35°F or colder.
4. Grind the onions, meat and fat through the coarse die. (If you are using the KitchenAid Food Grinder set the mixer on the No. 4 speed) Andouille is most typically a country-style, coarse sausage. If you want, you can even hand-mince the meat yourself. TIP: Hand-mince 1/4 of the meat and fat mixture to get a more interesting texture for your sausage.
5. Make sure the mixture is very cold, about 30°F; you will probably need to freeze it again for a while. When it's cold enough, take it out and add the chilled red wine or beer to the bowl and mix on the lowest setting for 90 seconds to 2 minutes, or with your very clean hands for 2 minutes. This turns what was essentially flavored ground meat into a cohesive sausage. The look of the meat will change as it binds to itself, and will look more like thick batter than ground meat and fat.
6. If you are making patties, you're done. Store each patty between pieces of wax paper and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then foil, before freezing. If you are making links, load up a sausage stuffer with the meat and fat. Rinse the casings by running warm water through them: You want to flush some salt and check for any holes in the casings. Thread an entire casing onto the stuffer and fill it slowly. Coil the filled casing as you go. Fill all the casings before making individual links.
7. To make individual links, tie off one end of a casing. Compress the sausage inside it to fill that end link. Pinch off a length of link with one hand, and another link with the other to create a second link next to the end sausage. Flip this second link over to create the sausage. Gently compress the meat in both the end link and this second one. Flip the second link over several times to tighten it. Move down the coil and create two more links. This time, flip the link back toward you to tighten it. Repeat this process down the coil until you get to the end. Tie off the end link. Repeat with all the other casings.
8. Hang your sausages to dry for an hour or more. Hang for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature, or up to overnight where your temperatures are below 45°F. I use a standard clothes drying rack to hang my links. When the sausages are hanging, use a large needle to pierce any spots on the links where there is air trapped underneath. Sterilize the needle in the flames of a gas burner or with a lighter until it glows. You need to pierce any trapped air or your links could burst when you cook them.
9. Once the sausages have hung, smoke them for at least 3 to 4 hours. If you hot-smoke your links, pull them when they reach an internal temperature of 155°F. If your links don't get to that temperature in time, you can either smoke them longer, or you can finish the cooking in an oven set at 200°F. Once they're fully cooked, let them cool before freezing.

I was too lazy for minced garlic and grilled onions, but it looks like I need to add that, along with the red wine!

Sure adds a ton of flavor to the sausages.

Making sausage has been on my bucket list forever, just not sure where to start.

Rich, I seem to remember you and Barb making sausage for frying. You're halfway there. Just take the next step and invest in a stuffer. You'd have to use a cure too if you're going to smoke the sausage. KA has a nice stuffer attachment that works OK. Ton of instructional vid's on Youtube as well.

Impressive. I’ve never made Sausage or tried the Snake method. I might as well broaden my Horizons & buy me a stuffed. Wonder if I can save this thread to save all the info

Kemper.... The rack is made by Weber. It's called their expandable smoking rack. Check out Weber.com or Amazon. They're not cheap. If you're handy and have the tools you could make one like Robert R. did. As far as saving the thread you can just subscribe to the thread. Open the thread you're interested in. At the top of the page you'll see a tab called Thread Tools. Open that tab and on the drop down menu and select Subscribe to Thread. Click that and you're all set. To review all of your subscribed threads look to top of page again and find the Quick Links tab and open that tab and you'll see Subscribed Threads. All of your favorite threads will be saved there. Another thing I do is if I just want some specific information off of a thread and you're not interested in subscribing to the entire thread, is to cut your area of interest, for example a recipe, and paste it to a Word Document. I believe you mentioned all you have is an Iphone. You can do the same thing with your phone but just paste it to the Notes App on your phone. Good luck Kemper. If I was closer I'd come and help you with some of this stuff.

Rich, I seem to remember you and Barb making sausage for frying. You're halfway there. Just take the next step and invest in a stuffer. You'd have to use a cure too if you're going to smoke the sausage. KA has a nice stuffer attachment that works OK. Ton of instructional vid's on Youtube as well.

You're right Cliff, Barb and I do make a couple of different frying sausages.
We do have the grinder attachment and the sausage stuffing attachment for the KA and there is a new store in town Sportsmen's Warehouse that carries casings.
Thanks for sharing the recipe i now have a copy of it.
I'm assuming that Morton's Tender Quick would work for the cure.
I'm out of excuses now :p

Last edited:
Cliff You have inspired me to try & make Sausages. I don’t have a Kitchen Aid Mixer or Sausage Stuffer. Looks like these Sausages are going to cost me about $600
I may just go to the Store & spend $10. I’m Poor. Lol

Cliff, that is some awesome sausage and yes we will get to it soon. I want to try it for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

Very nice job!

Just curious, is andouille not readily available in other parts of the country? It's available at every grocery store around here, but then again I'm about a half hour's drive from LaPlace, LA, which bills itself as the andouille capitol of the world. Andouille is my favorite sausage, but my wife doesn't really care for it, she likes boudin.

Just curious, is andouille not readily available in other parts of the country?

Thanks Greg. Yes, Andouille is available in these parts. It's just like baking bread or making bacon, I've enjoyed learning (or trying) to do it myself. I've found it to be an enjoyable hobby that is fun to do along with grilling and smoking.

Back