Cooking grate question for old grill

SteveMiller

I am going to restore this Genesis for my brother. I picked it up this morning on the side of the road.

I know I have ordered the grates for this model for one I did for my brother in law but I can't find the part number. Any ideas? Its going to need new everything inside but the outside will clean up nice.

x9gC

That is a fantastic "before" picture, be sure to take pictures of the inside too!

I think the grates are 7525, but there are other options like cast iron, etc.

Good luck!

Tim

There are so many options for grates it can get dizzying! Many here feel that stainless BARS are the best choice. Hard to argue with that. If you want to go that way, the BEST around come from a guy named Dave Santana in California. He has a trade name of "rcplanebuyer" on eBay. You can look at some of his stuff there, BUT DON'T CONTACT HIM OR BUY THERE! If you are interested in buying contact him through Craigslist and tell him you are on TVWBB. SEE BELOW. His grates are higher priced than some, but everything he makes is first class 304 stainless and his grates have thick bars that are not spaced way too far apart like some others.

Here is some info on Dave that I got from another member:

FYI: Dave prefers to have people contact him though the SF craigslist adds.
This is from Dave: "I post listings for all my bars and grates on Craig's List in San Francisco area. Just have them search for "Weber flavor bars" and look for the listing in Burlingame."

Here is a thread I did. In #32 I briefly discussed some of the options for grates, and some members gave their thoughts. Maybe you will find it helpful.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73001-Another-Summit&p=802826&viewfull=1#post802826

Last edited:
Damn nice find there. Hard to believe someone left it on the road

I know! The inside is basically mush but at least I am starting at zero dollars. My brother has a little walmart special grill now that is at least 10 years old so he will love it.

I will pressure wash sand and repaint the frame and outsides of the firebox and buff out the hood. Then new bars, grates, probably burners, igniter, and hopefully that's it.

I like that it has 3 burners, the two other Genesis silvers I did only had 2.

I don't know if I will spring for those pricier grates or just get the stock style. I don't know that he will notice the difference, and I might have to cut some costs!

Great find for free. That grill will clean up well. If you are giving it away, just replace the worn out parts with some decent parts. I wouldn't spend top dollar and would probably even go with some decent aftermarket parts. You can get Stainless stamped grates for less than the Weber ceramic coated steel ones. Same goes with the flavorizer bars. You might find the burners are still in good condition once you clean them up a bit. But even then, you can get replacement aftermarket ones for under $20. The igniter is about $10 and probably in need of replacement.

That hood looks like someone recently cleaned it up nice.

I have the stamped grates that Bruce has in the link I really like them they are 304 stainless and seem to be very well built and for 45 bucks plus shipping they are a good value. Get a list together as they charge a flat shipping fee per order, they carry the igniter they also carry both the warm up baskets if you want those I missed that when I ordered my grates. I was missing the top one that swings probably would not use it much but I would have got it if I paid attention.

Back