Steaks on the Q3200

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My older son was home this past weekend. A rekindled relationship with a young lady who lives here brought him all the way down from Virginia:rolleyes:!

In honor of the occasion, Dad made some steaks. Three decent-sized sirloins fit fine on the Q3200:

2814lj9.jpg

I am getting a little better at regulating the two-burner configuration. I LOVE cooking with the cast iron and not enduring flare-ups. I will say again, the Q is a GREAT choice for standard grilling!

:weberq3000:

Nice Job Pop. Just don't let ChuckO see this post :)

I agree, the cast iron grates do a great job with controlling the flare-ups & just being a nice cooking grate.

Looking good. Yep the design of the Q's allows for some great straight up grilling. If you experiment with different pans and what have you, you can accomplish quite a bit on a Q

Yep, the Q and those CI grates sure put down some beautiful sear marks on those sirloins. I did up a couple NY STrips on my genny 1000 tonight in lieu of my Q100. Those came out great as well. But I need to get a set of CI or stainless grates for it.

I love the porcelain enameled CI grates on my Genesis silver B (close to your 1000, I believe).

I love the porcelain enameled CI grates on my Genesis silver B (close to your 1000, I believe).

Hey Clint,

Well, right now besides my Qs I only have a Genesis Silver C working. I just picked it up and it came with stainless ROD grates. A pretty cool find, but I think I still really prefer cast iron. The rest of my classic Genesis grills are unfinished projects. One came with the ORIGINAL old-style plain cast iron grates. Predictably, they are rusty but not at all beyond recovery. I started cleaning them up but got distracted. It is high on my list to get these usable and try them out on my Silver that at least is working. I do have a couple old sets of porcelain enameled ones, but I think they all have at least some chipped off porcelain. Not sure whether to try and grind off all the porcelain or season and use carefully as is.

Are your grates the ones with the shiny coating or the ones they like they sell now that have the drier, rough porcelain finish? I have never used this type and wonder if they hold up any better.

Jon

I admire a good cook even if I'm not a fan of the BBQ. Nicely done Jon (aka Dad)

Thanks, Chuck! I guess you don’t like the Q. Well, that’s what makes the world go around I suppose. Competently cooked charcoal grilled steaks would have been even better, but they were still really good:D.

Jon

Hey Clint,

Well, right now besides my Qs I only have a Genesis Silver C working. I just picked it up and it came with stainless ROD grates. A pretty cool find, but I think I still really prefer cast iron. The rest of my classic Genesis grills are unfinished projects. One came with the ORIGINAL old-style plain cast iron grates. Predictably, they are rusty but not at all beyond recovery. I started cleaning them up but got distracted. It is high on my list to get these usable and try them out on my Silver that at least is working. I do have a couple old sets of porcelain enameled ones, but I think they all have at least some chipped off porcelain. Not sure whether to try and grind off all the porcelain or season and use carefully as is.

Are your grates the ones with the shiny coating or the ones they like they sell now that have the drier, rough porcelain finish? I have never used this type and wonder if they hold up any better.

Jon

I'm not sure, searched my amazon orders & I got these for $66 back in 9/2014 ($150 today so be sure to look around). I don't think I'd grind off the porcelain, I'd just hit it with a regular grill brush & oil now & then, & maybe step up to grill grates since everybody seems to love those.

Here's a close up of mine in use tonight - they're a little neglected but no rust that I've ever noticed, they've seemed very durable & I've been happy with them.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73225-Chuck-eye-amp-twice-baked-potato

I'm not sure, searched my amazon orders & I got these for $66 back in 9/2014

Here's a close up of mine in use tonight - they're a little neglected but no rust that I've ever noticed, they've seemed very durable & I've been happy with them.

Clint,
It isn’t totally certain, but yours look like the newer style, rougher porcelain finish. I have heard it referred to as matte and even impregnated porcelain. They look a lot better than the early 2000s porcelain covered cast iron that has a very smooth, blue-gray coating. These are really nice for a little while but in my experience the coating inevitably chips off and can wind up in your food. I probably have as many as three sets like this. I had to give up on the one I used myself to prevent any more porcelain burgers:p!

I guess I am thinking that removing the rest of the porcelain - at least on the cooking surfaces - is the only way to redeem the old grates I have. The cast iron itself is fine. Maybe I will experiment with one set and report on my findings.

I am anxious to try GrillGrates just to see for myself what all the controversy is about. Many people here in the forum do really love them, but others here spurn them. I would like to objectively test them in a face-off comparison...after tax season:mad:

Jon

LOL: Jon, this tax season stuff is really killing you. I hope it all goes well and it settles down after 4-15. Then you can really get after the grills and grilling.
By the way, what would the affect be on your profession if they get the Tax reform done like Speaker Ryan wants and most of us are able to file taxes on a note card?

Grills and Taxes!

LOL: Jon, this tax season stuff is really killing you. I hope it all goes well and it settles down after 4-15. Then you can really get after the grills and grilling.
By the way, what would the affect be on your profession if they get the Tax reform done like Speaker Ryan wants and most of us are able to file taxes on a note card?

Yes, it is definitely hard to focus on someone’s Schedule E when you really want to be working on restoring a Skyline;)...

:genesissilver:

Since I am in tax mode, though, here is an honest answer to your question: When politicians talk about the “post card” thing they are either being wishful or somewhat ignorant:confused:. As it already stands, a substantial amount of people can file a 1040EZ which could fit in a post card. What they are talking about and what the new tax act will do for 2018 is make that many more people forgo itemizing and therefore also eligible for a simplified return. A lot of talk is also about reducing the number of tax brackets and stating or implying that this will somehow make things a lot simpler when the truth is that whether there are two brackets or 222, your tax comes from a computer calculation or a table you use to look it up in. Reducing the number of brackets doesn’t simplify much at all.

Most people who use a CPA instead of TurboTax do so because they have rental properties, self employment or complex investments. The new act or any other income tax based proposals do little or nothing to make these people’s returns any simpler. So, they will still have many pages of IRS forms rather than a post card. To dramatically change things we would need to abandon an income based tax. This means most likely a sales or consumption type tax or a “value added” tax. Might be a good thing, and I would be happy to hang up my tax preparation and restore more grills!

I am happy to chat more, but we should probably open a separate “just discussion” thread.

Jon:
thanks for the explanation of the tax act laws. Makes sense. I have used TurboTax now since 2000 and another outfit before then. I would hate to do my taxes all on paper with a pen like they used to. Like I used to when I was a kid.

Anyway, good luck with the filing season and keep your eyes open for some great curb side pickup adds for Weber grills in Craigslist. That way you can concentrate on rehabbing the grills when you have the time. :)

By the way Jon, your Private message in box is full and you cannot receive more messages until you clear some out. FYI

Back