Question RE: Genesis 1000 series vs Silver/Gold/Platinum manifold & frame use

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
As hard as I try, I can't completely ignore some of the amazing deals on my local OfferUp and CraigsList. It looks like tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a fairly decent Genesis Silver C for a whopping $50:

2uqhxmq.jpg

One really cool thing - easily worth the $50 for this alone - is what this grill has inside:

veokqo.jpg

I don't know the origin of the stainless bar grates, but they look pretty good to me. I have a lot of classic Genesis grates, but none made out of stainless bars. Flavorizer bars look really nice, too!

I couldn't say no to this because I am planning on incorporating portions of this grill into my over-hyped, but hopefully someday a reality, Genesis Skyline "4000". What I am wondering about is what would happen if I remove the Silver firebox and hood and replace them with the older style, 13 bar firebox and my Skyline hood.

Will I be able to use the manifold that came with the Silver and substitute 1000 series burner tubes (which are close, but not exactly the same size)? Or, will I have to also replace the manifold with a 1000 series manifold and hook it up to the side burner? If so, will there be any issues with the 1000 series manifold being installed in a Silver series frame? Will the burner controls be the right height and line up OK?

I really like the newer side burner vs. the old style that I got with the old 3000 series frame I have been working on. I am also intrigued by the idea of using the slide-up locking mechanisms on this newer frame and somehow attaching them to old-style wood slat trays. The wood trays are very important to the look I am trying for, but I have always thought the slide-up bar was kind of rickety vs. the much smoother style on the newer Silver/Gold/Platinum series. Also, right side slide up bar mechanisms are really hard to come by. Any thoughts about whether this idea has any merit?

I know it is winter up north and grills are all tucked away, but I hope some of you see this and can throw out some helpful ideas.

Last edited:
I think you are going to run into trouble mixing and matching burner tubes and manifolds between genesis 1000 and Silver grills.
But, I think you would be able to put a genesis 1000-4000 cook box on a silver b, or c frame.

I actually like my genesis 1000 slide up lock on my drop down table much better than what I have seen on all the Silver B grills I have worked with. I think it would be tough to modify the wood tables to work with the Silver C locks.

Great find. No way you can go wrong with a good looking set of SS grates. They look like either weber or aftermarket and not RCPlanebuyer grates, but still worth way more than $50. Kinda looks like the flavo bars might be SS as well. The extra burner makes the grill that much better as well. Good job.

Bruce,

If I pull off the Silver firebox and hood and replace them and also the burners and manifold with 1000 series parts, do you think the control knobs will be the correct height and line up ok?

I am picking the grill up this afternoon. I hope it works out, because of all the parts you mentioned plus I want to use the black knobs and starter cover. I also like that this burner doesn’t need a separate starter and I think looks more in place than the one I already have.

I am surprised you don’t like the newer swing-up latches. To me they seem smoother and easier to engage. I am not too sure either whether I can adapt them to wood slat trays, but I think I will at least try - AFTER April 15:(

Last edited:
Jon,
I am not sure if the knobs and all will line up correctly. I have never had the oppportunity to check that out....but it seems others have swapped cook boxes and I assume manifolds between Genesis 1000 and Silver B's.

I think there were two different types of drop down systems on the Genesis 1000-5000 grills. All I have to do with my grill is pull the shelf up and it out locks. I don't have to move the shelf to the side or make sure any support is locked in place. It just auto locks. To go down, I simply push up slightly on the support rod while lifting the shelf and then letting it down. Kind of like pushing a button to let it down. Smooth, simple and it works great. I think some of the older Genesis 1000-5000 grills had a support that you needed to reach under and manually place the support rod into a hole which was a pain. Maybe that is the kind you have.

Check out the video of mine in action.

SUCCESS! I was able to get the Silver C grill. The address I was given is a grill store in Coral Springs, FL. It was grill heaven, to be sure! They are a Weber dealer and had every imaginable Weber grill and contraption. I was really smitten with the 26" Kettle - the first I think I have seen in person. I was impressed by how heavy the lid was and with the stainless steel grates. They also had everything Big Green Egg and some other stuff as well.

I will post pics of the Silver in its unrestored state when I have some daylight time to take them. Dirty, a little rust here and there but also the very nice stainless grates (even if not as good as rcplanebuyer). The burners and flavorizers appear to hardly have been used and are still shiny. Apparently the owner had planned to keep this grill but got some kind of awesome deal on a damaged Genesis II and decided to sell it off. Since this store is a Weber service center my guess is that the stainless grates, flavorizers and burners are all Weber brand. Whether I use this frame for my Skyline restore or just restore it as a conventional Silver C, I do think it was a good deal. Getting to check out the store was a nice bonus:eek:

Jon,
I am not sure if the knobs and all will line up correctly. I have never had the oppportunity to check that out....but it seems others have swapped cook boxes and I assume manifolds between Genesis 1000 and Silver B's.

I think there were two different types of drop down systems on the Genesis 1000-5000 grills. All I have to do with my grill is pull the shelf up and it out locks. I don't have to move the shelf to the side or make sure any support is locked in place. It just auto locks. To go down, I simply push up slightly on the support rod while lifting the shelf and then letting it down. Kind of like pushing a button to let it down. Smooth, simple and it works great. I think some of the older Genesis 1000-5000 grills had a support that you needed to reach under and manually place the support rod into a hole which was a pain. Maybe that is the kind you have.

Bruce,

I have to admit your video makes the classic Genesis slide look like a charm! It has been a while since I had a Genesis with the slat tray, and the one I had was my first "restoration". I didn't know much at the time (and I still have a lot to learn:rolleyes:), so it may be that the one I remember wasn't working up to par. I briefly tried out one of the thermoset slide-up trays on the Silver C I just picked up. I still do kind of like how it engages with a "thunk". I probably won't have much time to really experiment until after my April 15 D-Day, but just looking at how the curved hinge attaches to the plastic tray leaves me some hope that with a little adaptation it could also work on a wood slat tray. It will be fun to at least tinker with it in a couple months.

I don't have any classic Genesis right-side slide bar assemblies (like the left side one in your video). I tried eReplacement Parts who took my order but later canceled saying the parts were no longer available. I think you can swap most of the parts from left to right (I have plenty of the left side ones), but the flat metal piece would have to be replicated in a mirror image. My sheet metal friend could easily do that - if I can get him to get around to it!

I will update when I can. Thanks for sharing your video.

Yah, you can probably fab up a slide really easily, but it is the plastic clip that slides on it that would be a *****. I was thinking that someone could fab up a slide bar with a long horizontal cut in it just wider than the bar on the table. Then you could have a notch near the front where the square notch is now for it to sit in when the table is up. Much simpler than the plastic clip thing imo and no plastic to worry about breaking. But, you would need the tools to do it. I would think a guy to fab one out of a 1" piece of aluminum flat stock pretty easily.

The hoods interchange but the fireboxes and manifolds do not.

The 1000-5000 fireboxes are physically larger.

I have a silver a firebox sitting inside a silver b fb sitting inside a 1000 fb in my parts stash right now.

Jon,

Bruce, that sliding mechanism looks legit, where did you get that? I've come across at least 2 Genny 1000s and 4 Silver Bs and did not see that feature on any of those. I would like to have that for my Genny 1000 if possible.

Sam, I had the one with the clip on the back side. I actually found a slider assembly on Ebay new it was a few months ago, the guy had 3 if I remember I bought one and Jkim bought one not sure if he had any left. I will try to find the guy I bought it from maybe you will get lucky. It comes with a new lift rod as the one on the original config is too long as they changed the design when they went to the slider.

Brian

It came on my grill. I had to replace all the wood in the shelves, but the slider was intact. I have seen several grills with it both in person and pictures. It is a standard weber part, but I haven't seen a place that sells replacements. The slide bar would be easily fabbed up, but the plastic sliding clip is the tough part.

If you are interested in one, I suggest you look for a donor grill and steal it. Not litteraly steal it but find a grill for real cheap or even free and grab it just for that and whatever else you can scavenge off it. They are not plentiful, but they are out there. Spring time is a great time to be looking for people getting rid of their old grills.

You guys are like vultures. Sheesh. Way to be on top of things. But, like said, just keep an eye open for a donor. They are out there and sometimes they will be free curb pickups.

How much was that guy selling them for?

I just found one here: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/494148/135347/
for $24.99 with $9.99 shipping. And that is strange, because I looked a while back and couldn't find one. I guess having the part number helps. :)

Last edited:
You guys are like vultures. Sheesh. Way to be on top of things. But, like said, just keep an eye open for a donor. They are out there and sometimes they will be free curb pickups.

How much was that guy selling them for?

LOL on the vulture comment. I bought it for $19.99 plus free shipping so not too bad. True, they're probably out there somewhere but don't want to go through the hassle of picking up grills at the moment.

Admittedly, after I received the one from eBay, I ended up getting at least 1 more slide bar from a nearly free "parts grill."

It went to good use, too: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66...-flip-up-table&p=794654&viewfull=1#post794654

So, it looks like you were able to just reverse the left-hand parts with the exception of cutting another notch in the slide bar piece. I have several of the left-hand versions, so maybe I can stick with the original 3000 frame and with your adaptation use two left-hand sets to make both a left and a right hand fold-up tray.

Does that sound right?

Back