Roadside Chicken for a desert weekend

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Went camping/wheeling in the desert & needed some protein for lunch on the trail. RSC is one of our favorite choices.
As is cooking it with a rotisserie. Marinaded the chicken overnight.

Fired up the Hunsaker clone. 2 big chunks of cherry and a full chimney of lit KBB.

A6vApNe.jpg

qn2PeLC.jpg

Assembled the firebasket & the 18.5. Let it preheat for 15 minutes & got the chicken going.
Temps were north of 400* for much of the cook.

This is about halfway into the cook - the 3rd baste with the marinade.

w6QnfXk.jpg

The 50 minute mark & done.

FceFTkE.jpg

Forgot to take a pix of when the "fan" was added to the firebasket.
Anyhow, was pleasantly surprised to find, upon inspection the next morning that the "fan" is somewhat self-cleaning.

oUHFgCw.jpg

The chicken was killer.

The wheeling was great!

vGSY3tY.jpg

Last edited:
18.5 WSM, Hunsaker clone, & rotisserie Roadside Chicken on a camping/wheeling, you travel well my friend.
That chicken does look killer.

18.5 WSM, Hunsaker clone, & rotisserie Roadside Chicken on a camping/wheeling, you travel well my friend.
That chicken does look killer.

Thank you, Jeff. fwiw - the chicken was cooked at home. Not a lot of time for cooking with this style of camping. Think reheatos & microwaves. & picnic chicken.

Last edited:
I didn't know you made so many different contraptions - you must be good with metal, with the mods and repairs on those rock crawlers. Great color on that chicken.

Wholly Cow Robert, that makes the Rubicon look like a Sunday drive. How cool your weekend must have been. Most curious about that fan set up. I assume it doesn't spin, that it's strictly a fancy diffuser?

Now I know where the expression “stuck between a rock and a hard place” originated! Very impressive Robert, both your fabricating talents and that chicken. Glad you had a fun weekend!

It doesn't surprise me that you are into hard core off roading, with your fabrication skills with metal that would be a natural for you. Bet you've built some bad boy crawlers.
That rotisserie RSC has to be great, perfect for a camping trip.

Last edited:

Back