"the starting temperature of your steak has a negligible impact on how it cooks."

Interesting is the right word, many opinions on that subject but, the dry surface mention is one I like to employ. As long as I remember it!
I would think that would also effect positively when using a Sous Vide?

I don't agree with salting will make it more moist as salt pulls water out of the meat,a drier outside seems to crust better,My theory is that at a certain temp you will have a certain % of moisture left in the meat dependent on how much was in it to start,eating a lot of grilled and smoked meats is is advised to marinate with any thing besides water to help stop carcinogens from reaching high numbers ,a quick slather of olive oil ect is what I employ 1/2 of the time, so many thoughts and techniques and so little time & $ to experiment lol

I've tried almost all those methods dry, wet, salt before, salt when done, warmed up,
right from the fridge. Really can't tell much difference, but then again my 70 year old taste buds ain't what they used to be.:p

Well said, Rich.....

I've tried almost all those methods dry, wet, salt before, salt when done, warmed up,
right from the fridge. Really can't tell much difference, but then again my 70 year old taste buds ain't what they used to be.:p

So have I . I feel a good steak can be cooked a number of ways...........My taste buds are 80 years old.

I can't tell any difference in taste either and my taste buds are a bit younger. I do get a much better smoke ring on meat I put on the smoker just out of the fridge.

I took the article to be more about getting a good outside char.
Something I have a problem with from time to time.

I took the article to be more about getting a good outside char.
Something I have a problem with from time to time.

I don't recall all of your grills, but I know you have a performer & an 18" (iirc!) wsm............ one of the best steaks I've cooked, I cooked in the "little black egg" setting on my 18" wsm (omit the middle section, set the grate right on the ring, & use the lid like normal. I also like to use ~1.5 - 2 chimneys on my platinum (22" performer w/o the gas assist) to bring the coals to almost touching the grate.......and cook direct above that - can do the same thing with a smokey joe with a lot less coals but maybe not quite as much heat.

Nice timing on your article, I caught it while my grill was warming up (steak on cold from the fridge, pretty much...just s&p while pre-heating).

I have no problem getting a good char, as long as I don't scrimp on the amount of lit charcoal.
That is where I sometimes fail.
Not a problem with these ribeye cap steaks.

LvseNlkTiEBW16rbT9CyeGgurHJIZSQv8zRgDtsgeyXvuKni-Ne-q3CUnHbbn3bhijB63HU-y9YJLJMbnvfd68SVl52u1ee98uwYPpbpNdKFYfWSNhG_lphqaNPtuz5YoM6OG0swutKsW2pM7wi_6MTmB6IOyKI-aQnlXplz-C7AODE6vWJyIBX7lXAgyUtlpPLotm02X7q4LzikYAWSBZTfvj0XxER8_oKfhhs9B0obgSM78LhuMrijXe3x_L62GL2Hl6954j1Za0rYvZVnltE4jNTM6wtowfV834BMaMUtKn1-LeNqwHzYdRsEyn4RsXoEkcYr94lvSAiq4YjSp0oYqWdmpYlHxrBwfeNqDPejdA7liUtnN-zlm8Hk1GmHVo1x_QDD0wELBYZpkmAt6dXpR2y86uukhrsQs5kWzI-gaCpsFDbtebeqUuvn-s2h6C7veuQRvknJxfBh63k8o0kyDLLcvpHsVb8Ip6EIjXx0B8cZ3Yy5huGU-cbG74QL9vvxb5rDLZdVuOtnt4YCR9hT-R71tqN9eQ8TLN4pryH8pGsSfU-drfKs8zOQxbY-2498ITqFwYQiIHrKJ3LG7-8mskopfOnHh0FUjiDj=w1344-h898-no

No, no problem there at all Bob!
Too bad it’s a Friday in Lent or I’d go get a couple of those red gems and turn them a nice crusty brown like you!
I’ve used “reverse basketry” with a very full chimney dropped down the middle, it gives a nice long hot center with some safe area on both sides.
Man, I’m hungry, where’s my salad!?
I agree, I thought the article was more about a good crust than anything else.
I have learned that if I get a steak half the thickness of mine for my wife, read mine 2”, her’s 1” they are ready if I get her’s on then go back to the fridge and get mine. So an extra two minutes for hers at half thickness. Very frustrating when you have a really nice piece of beef and you have to burn the poor thing.
I love her and she lets me alone about all my grillaholic tendencies, bless her heart!

Last edited:
I have no problem getting a good char, as long as I don't scrimp on the amount of lit charcoal.
That is where I sometimes fail.
Not a problem with these ribeye cap steaks.

LvseNlkTiEBW16rbT9CyeGgurHJIZSQv8zRgDtsgeyXvuKni-Ne-q3CUnHbbn3bhijB63HU-y9YJLJMbnvfd68SVl52u1ee98uwYPpbpNdKFYfWSNhG_lphqaNPtuz5YoM6OG0swutKsW2pM7wi_6MTmB6IOyKI-aQnlXplz-C7AODE6vWJyIBX7lXAgyUtlpPLotm02X7q4LzikYAWSBZTfvj0XxER8_oKfhhs9B0obgSM78LhuMrijXe3x_L62GL2Hl6954j1Za0rYvZVnltE4jNTM6wtowfV834BMaMUtKn1-LeNqwHzYdRsEyn4RsXoEkcYr94lvSAiq4YjSp0oYqWdmpYlHxrBwfeNqDPejdA7liUtnN-zlm8Hk1GmHVo1x_QDD0wELBYZpkmAt6dXpR2y86uukhrsQs5kWzI-gaCpsFDbtebeqUuvn-s2h6C7veuQRvknJxfBh63k8o0kyDLLcvpHsVb8Ip6EIjXx0B8cZ3Yy5huGU-cbG74QL9vvxb5rDLZdVuOtnt4YCR9hT-R71tqN9eQ8TLN4pryH8pGsSfU-drfKs8zOQxbY-2498ITqFwYQiIHrKJ3LG7-8mskopfOnHh0FUjiDj=w1344-h898-no

Oh do those look good Bob! I agree a really hot close up fire is the best for a good char no matter how you pre prep the meat. Although I don't apply the pepper until I remove the steak when going for a heavy char as I really don't like the taste of burnt pepper.

I don't agree with salting will make it more moist as salt pulls water out of the meat
You have to leave the salt on the meat for a sufficiently long time. Initially it pulls water out of the meat as you say. But pulling that water from fibers near the surface creates an osmotic imbalance. To correct this, some of the now salty moisture from the surface is pulled back in. This exchange continues and begins to work its way further down inside the meat, pulling the salt deeper into the meat. Once the salt is in there, it helps the meat hang on to the moisture that would otherwise be given up as the meat is cooked. Salting a steak 24 hours before cooking should make the final product juicier than if you salt it immediately prior to cooking.

Once in a while I still grill steaks right from the freezer. So far no one has ever said they were not good. All kinds of methods for all kinds of people. Grill on......

Back