Sous Vide Tri Tip?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
For the first time in my life I am seeing TriTip for under $10/lb. here. My brother has offered me the opportunity to try his Anova Sous Vide pump. I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with that technique? Sous Vide in the marinade to 130? Blistering sear to finish?
Given the $5.99/lb. price I might pick up a couple and freeze one for later...or not!
Just read some various recipes and timing is all over the map, one guy says two hours another fourteen! Opinions?

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck, there’s a starting point! Exactly what I was too dim to find for myself!
With the search talent on this site, I might never look anything up by myself again!
Just kidding guys!

I have done it a couple of times, I used Montreal Steak seasoning too. Mine were thawed and I believe I did 3 hours. One I seared on a grill and another I seared in a CI pan. It been a while since I did it and it didn't wow me. I still like to cook them on the grill but it is fun to try new things

I have done it a couple of times, I used Montreal Steak seasoning too. Mine were thawed and I believe I did 3 hours. One I seared on a grill and another I seared in a CI pan. It been a while since I did it and it didn't wow me. I still like to cook them on the grill but it is fun to try new things

I'll second everything! I really didn't see any advantage. I did one at 125° for 24 hours one for 4 hours. Seared both. Didn't like the texture of the long SV. The shorter time one was no better than just cooking it on the grill. I did one from frozen. That was nice as I didn't have time to thaw. So it went in in the morning and was ready for dinner. Seared that one too.

I understand the “meh” thoughts, I was just thinking that it would leave me a lot of leeway when dinner time comes. Start the pump around noon and fire the grill for some wings and sear the steak so, they are all done about the same time.
Since the use of the Sous Vide is free why not? I figure it’s worth a try. Probably would not make a steady diet of the machine but, playing with my food is something I still enjoy.
So Case, have you used your Pok Pok Thaan charcoal for a second firing yet? Maybe I should try it for the Tri Tip...

Last edited:
I've done a couple. But the outrageous price for tri tip around here has prevented me from doing more. I would think 3-4 hours - maybe as many as 8. I like my SV rig a lot, but one of my favorite things about it is being able to come home from work, and just pull a steak out of the freezer, defrosting to a perfect 130F, then searing the bejeezus out of it.

I've done a couple. But the outrageous price for tri tip around here has prevented me from doing more. I would think 3-4 hours - maybe as many as 8. I like my SV rig a lot, but one of my favorite things about it is being able to come home from work, and just pull a steak out of the freezer, defrosting to a perfect 130F, then searing the bejeezus out of it.
Haven't done s.v. yet BUT from everything I've read, that's how it's done.

$5.99/lb. Tri Tips have been obtained, will get the Anova tomorrow. Saturday morning, I will get one of the roasts under water!
The concensus is that 14 hours is too much and 4-6 should render a gustatory delight? Ripping hot sear when after drying the surface, slice in the “interesting” manner the cut demands and indulge myself in a beef feast! I’m saving the second one for another day...maybe!

Keep in mind that when the temp is set, it will never rise above that. So water=130 then meat=130 whether it's 4 hours or 18 hours. It'll still be the same level of "done".

edit--> more reading: any longer than 2 hr the quality of the meat starts to suffer (less bite so to speak) although the "doneness" remains the same.

Last edited:
That’s one of the things that made me want to try this little exercise, thank, Rich.
When I went in to get the roasts, I only saw something all wrapped up in butchers netting I asked the kid (maybe 25) about them, he said that that was the way some people like them!? I didn’t get that but, he was kind enough to go back and bring out a whole cryo pack of them and pulled two out for me. I’m getting a little excited about doing these things, something NEW!
It’s probably the best “meat counter” left unless you go to the last of the real butcher shops in town. The guy just down the street at the Hardings just retired and the new guy isn’t as knowledgeable, I’m sure he’ll learn but, it will be a while before I have him try to do a big crown roast of pork. Or maybe try to help him get some experience.

Last edited:
I did mine for 5.5 hours and 132 degrees. I love the taste and texture of tri-tip. When you sous vide tri-tip, the texture changes from chewy to beef tenderloin.

D2pmKlF.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, nice to have someone say a solid time and temp. L8ke I said earlier, I’ve seen as little as four and as long as twelve. From frozen I get the twelve but, mine are straight from the butcher case.
OT,
I lived in Edmonds for a short time, I was delivering the Seattle Post Intelligencer there the night the Hood canal bridge went down, that was an exciting morning!

Thanks, I’m getting things all laid out for a fairly BIG feast, tomorrow big pot with unit attached ready to fill, TriTip in a ziploc bag (don’t have a vacuum sealer, drat!) I will slip a sprig of rosemary and some slivers of garlic tomorrow around start about noon.
Man, I miss the good salmon I used to get out there!

Well, a buddy came for the feast and brought burnt ends and his pastrami project. Between that, wings, Tri Tip, following it up with pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon with an apricot glaze, we ate like cavemen! The pork was supposed to come off before I seared the beef but, technical malfunction (totally spaced out when I got the pork on and left the bottom vents closed!) so we went a little wild on the beef side. By the time the pork was done to a glittering turn, we were all too full to care!
It sounds like we will do it again in a month or so. I ended up going 128.5 degrees for three hours then seared, I will do this again! Low stress, great finished product! Sorry you’ll have to accept my thanks for all the help and my word. I am closing in on meat coma....
Good night all!

Last edited:

Back