How do i do this technique when smashing my burgers?

AndrewT

I’m new to cooking smash burgers and found a video on YouTube. I have a trowel at home but not sure what this guy is using in this video. And what kind of technique he is using to smash them. Because i can never get my burgers that thin like a restaurant any help?

Here’s the link to the YouTube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0weyUt8k0

Andrew, smash burgers are a favorite at our house! What I've always used is a smal (6") diameter terra cotta plant base. I place the hamburger ball on my skillet, lay a piece of wax paper over it, and flatten the ball with the terra cotta plate. Works perfectly every time. Good luck, and let us know how your smash burgers turn out!
Tim

As much as I love bbq burgers, the taste and texture of a smash burger with melted American cheese cannot be beat.

I’m new to cooking smash burgers and found a video on YouTube. I have a trowel at home but not sure what this guy is using in this video. And what kind of technique he is using to smash them. Because i can never get my burgers that thin like a restaurant any help?

Here’s the link to the YouTube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0weyUt8k0

That smash burger press appears to be the Vollrath 50661 model which is actually called a "steak weight". It weighs a little over a pound and a half and is solid stainless steel. I think the one in the video has the handle bent a little more due to lots of use. Link is for Amazon, but they can be found for less on other sites if you look around (but compare free prime vs paid shipping elsewhere before deciding on another site).

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-50661-1-6-lb-flat-bottom-steak-weight-with-red-silicone-handle-9-x-4-3-4/92250661.html

61DsdiOMEoL._SL1000_.jpg

I season and divide the ground beef in a cast iron skillet. Before it goes on the grill, I mash it down with a pair of plies (that I always keep around the grill) on top of the spatula then put it on the hot grill.

Clean up is easy cause just put the skillet on the stove for a bit.

After reading this post the other day, I ordered one of the Volrath 50662 "steak weights" which is their 2 1/2 pound all stainless model (the one in the photo of my first post above). I ended up ordering it from KATOM Restaurant supply in TN as their shipping was much less than the webstaurant store (it appears they actually make a profit on their UPS shipping at the webstaurant store :mad:)

OMG this is the ultimate smash burger tool. It was a little pricey at about $41 shipped, but I think it was worth it. About 3/16" thick stainless (NSF rated and laser etched as such), with a silicone handle. I made a batch of smash burgers on the Blackstone 28" after I received it and this made the "smash" part so easy. I've used cast iron bacon presses, stainless mason trowels, and even my heavy duty Dexter stainless flipper/spatula before, but this thing is effortless. Not a hint of stickage to the bottom (which is perfectly smooth). Stickage has been the main problem I've seen with cast iron bacon presses as they are generally not 100% smooth and want to grab onto the meat.

A little expensive, but worth the money IMO. It will last longer than I will and pairs nicely with the Dexter heavy duty flipper/spatula as a scraper and flipper for smash burgers on the griddle. Photos are with a US Quarter for scale and thickness comparison. This thing has no flex (the one in the youtube video that started this thread appears to be the 1 1/2 pound model which is thinner). The mac-daddy of smash burger tools!

And as a plus, it could be used as a zombie wacking tool once the zombie apocalypse comes. It's that thick, heavy and solid.

va8yGYX.jpg

EYGRukd.jpg

Last edited:

Back