Went to buy a Char-Griller Acorn, came home with a Pit Boss

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
After seeing how much fun ChuckO was having with his little Akorn jr I started checking brickseek for the larger one at WalMart.
Normally $288 I was seeing them for $199, then $125, so I headed to a Wally that was supposed to have three of them.
Can't count on brickseek, they had none, but the lawn/garden manager offered me a Pit Boss 22" for $300, normally $600. (these are $657 at HD, and $900 at Lowes.)

My mind told me, this is only $12 more for a 22" ceramic than the regular price for the all steel Akorn!
Frame's together, waiting for son to come by and help get this heavy sucker on it.
Any other PB owners on here?

My sister has one. She has not used it but her boyfriend really likes it. I know it stays hot a looonngg time

Bob, you & I won't be getting Christmas cards from Weber in the future, LOL

Can't wait to see what you do with that BBQ. BBQ-ing is BBQ-ing, but the method is novel in the ceramics. Like the Santa Maria, the Ceramic BBQ's give BBQ-ing options not available in the Kettles & WSM's. I'll always love my Webers, but it is fun to branch out

BBQ On!!!

Thanks guys, I'm anxious to fire her up.
In my younger days I probably (maybe) could have muscled this thing onto the stand.
They give the total shipping weight as 178 lbs., seems more to me.
The ceramic fire box, bamboo shelves, stand, and SS grates are pretty darn heavy individually.
The body is super heavy and ungainly to lift, hernia material.

I checked my wally world, no $300 here, it's basically $600, but I will be keeping an eye out just in case

82A676BF-E3D5-43F9-845D-5BC48B5B19CC_zpssyujv1gt.png

Outstanding addition Bob! I really think you're going to enjoy that. Around the time I joined the group I was a heartbeat away from buying a Grill Dome Kamado. I've had only Webers for so long I just couldn't poll the plug, especially after joining TVWBB and having so much fun sharing cooks and information with all of you. The bug for a kamado style cooker still lingers though and someday I might give it a try. I've been looking mostly at the Weber Primo, Grill Dome or Kamado Joe. We'll see but the interest is there. Congratulations of yours Bob and look forward to seeing your cooks.

Great score, Bob! I'm jealous. Watched my brother in law do the Thanksgiving turkey on his. Effortless! Held a perfect temp rock steady. On Christmas, I had the pleasure of cooking the tenderloin on his PB (we were supposed to host, but plumbing issues forced a change of venue). It was a pleasure to use and I've been wanting one ever since. I think you're gonna love it.

Any luck getting her on the stand yet? I'm guessing you wouldn't have to twist too many arms to for help, simply offer up something BBQ'd off it :)

Well Bob, I had to go to Costco anyway so I went and looked at the Pit Boss 22.
I was so tempted since it was blue, but walked out without it this time.

It comes with the heat diffuser, cover, and a lump coal stirrer . Not bad for $599.00

It also had plastic fold up shelves..

Last edited:
Chuck,
Son doesn't live or work near us, but will stop by after work this week.
No rush, we're getting much needed rain all week long.

Jeff,
Pretty good deal since it has the $50 heat deflector and a cover.
I saw on the Pit Boss forum where several folks got the PB 24" from Costco, last year I think, for $450 or less on clearance.
Might be fall before they clear them out, worth keeping check on the stock.
I like that blue better than my black, and the plastic shelves might hold up better than bamboo.

Chuck,
Son doesn't live or work near us, but will stop by after work this week.
No rush, we're getting much needed rain all week long
Aw, you're being far too picky. Just fire it up in you living room. Just open the windows :)

Getting closer to first fire up.
Still a few tweaks to do.
It's pouring rain and will be the rest of the day/evening, it's looking like Monday at the earliest.

Back